VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My abit is from early 1999 is still working fine with original caps, I guess it doesn't have the bad caps ...

Last edited by Deksor on 2019-02-20, 14:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 21 of 21, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon-power wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

That EVGA 450 BT is most likely not a good PSU for this old system, because it seems to be group regulated (i.e. its performance in cross loads is horrible so it will shut down, reset or freeze your system). An old i440BX needs also a pretty strong (high amp) +5V and +3.3V output. New power supplies are designed for strong +12V lines. Only the better PSU’s with DC-DC conversion from the +12V will be able to handle the pretty extreme cross loads and can supply the amps for the +5V and +3.3V. That means you’ll end up with something that’s about 3x the price of that EVGA PSU. Yes, quality PSU’s cost money 😊

Are there specific brands I should know about? I won't be so low on money forever, and I'd like to know what sorts of brands/models of PSU I should be looking for.

I am currently still testing some new power supplies for stability, so I can not give any guarantee on stability, but so far I have good experiences with the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold and be quiet! Straight Power 11 series. The be quiet! can supply a little bit more amps on the +5V and +3.3V lines, which you might need in case of a power hungry Athlon or PII 300 Klamath. For a PII Deschutes I think that the Seasonic will do just fine (already tested with a slot 1 PII 233, slot 1 PIII 500 and S370 PIII 866).