VOGONS

First post, by retro4fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings dear members.
So i m having a hard time with this multi i/o controller. I m getting the ''hdd controller failure'' error at post. I have tried 2 known to be working ide cables and 2 hard disks. Both floppies 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 are working fine.
If i plug a cd-drive in the same ide cable instead of a hdd its also working fine. So i m wondering, if the controller was faulty shouldnt also the cd-drive not work? I ve tried every possible configuration at the j4 and i m still getting the ''hdd controller failure''. Any ideas what could be the problem?

Attachments

• multiio.jpg
    Filename
    multiio.jpg
    File size
    273.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by retro4fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes , i ve set it as type 47 and set the parameters as they re printed on the disk. I also tried a 40gb and set it as type 47 c/h/s : 4096, 16, 63 as i ve read in a post here (making it seem as a 2GB).Another thing i forgot to mention is that if i boot to dos with floppy after the ''hdd controller failure'' and run fdisk i can partition the disk and i see the disk activity led going red and i hear the disk spinning but even though i partition and move sys to c: i still get the error after rebooting and it wont boot the disk.

Reply 3 of 4, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

your controller may not like high-capacity drives. Do you have a drive that is less than 4 GB to try on it?

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green