VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i have problems wih newer chipset and PCI-E gen1 videocards, which are needed for Windows 98, are good for Dos too, if you dont have AGP or PCI option.
Yes and activated CSM and all Legacy stuff in BIOS UEFI for testing.

This post i continually update with new reports.

Not working (no picture at all on Bios level):

1. * Gigabyte X99 board and PCI-E gen1 we not working - tested with Gefore 7900, Geforce 6600.¨
    * MSI X99S SLI PLUS - PCI-E gen 1 videocards, broken only with Bios where was available in 920 MB for 32 bit OSes, after Bios fix, i had cca 3000 MB, but PCI-E gen1 cards, stoped working and MSI Bios team said, that they cant fix it.
    * Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming- - tested with Gefore 7200, Geforce 6600.

Working:

• * ASRock H110M-DVS R3.0 with the latest 7.40 BIOS // For Windows 98 its need also Rloew patch. Tested and working cards - GeForce 6200 TurboCache,GeForce 6600 GT,GeForce 7900 GTO
    * Gigabyte Z97 - GA-Z97P-D3
    * GIGABYTE Z170-HD3 - Working with Geforce 6200 (boot picture is only VGA port only) even in second port - with Primary videocards slot selection, ATI Radeon X800 VGA is working too.

If you can test it with other MBs and chipset and report results.

List of PCI-E gen1 videocards (incomplete):

• * GeForce PCX 5300
    * GeForce PCX 5750
    * GeForce PCX 5900
    * Geforce PCX 5950
    * GeForce 6200/ 6200 LE / TurboCache
    * GeForce 6500-6800
    * GeForce 7100 GS - Geforce 7950 GX2
    * Geforce 8xxx // All Geforce 9+ cards are PCI-E gen2 with few exceptions
    * GeForce 210
    * Radeon X300 - X850, All-in-Wonder cards included
    * Radeon X1300 - x1950, All-in-Wonder cards included
    * Radeon HD 2xxx
    * Radeon HD 3410
    * All-in-Wonder HD 3650 - if is not Wikipedia wrong, vanilla card is marked as PCI-E gen2
    * Matrox G550 PCIe
Last edited by ruthan on 2019-03-03, 00:47. Edited 13 times in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No UEFI is not problem.

H110 MB has AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with multilingual GUI support
I have Gigabyte Z97 MB with UEFI too and its working fine.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I meant the cards, so other way around
older boards have uefi bios with legacy fallback, newer ones lack legacy and wont boot with non uefi compatible gpu

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know, modern board will work fine with non-UEFI cards like GTX 280, so that's not the case.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added GIGABYTE Z170-HD3 (has even 2 PCI slots as probably newest/lastest MB ever) - as compatible. Geforce 8800 is not big deal, because is not Windows 98 compatible and for Dos there are better cards.. same for XP. But its still PCI-E gen1 so its good enough for testing.

Reply 7 of 8, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I added PCI-E cards list to first post.

Reply 8 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

As far as I know, modern board will work fine with non-UEFI cards like GTX 280, so that's not the case.

UEFI systems can work with non UEFI GPUs only if the Mainboards UEFI has A CSM (responsible for Bios backwards compatibility). The CSM has been deprecated and intel will phase out support in 2020 so future boards might not include it anymore. Even if it should not be a problem now, it will become a problem 2-3 years down the line.