VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently picked up a RAMpAT!-Plus EMS card and have no experience with SIMM memory, whatsoever. Is it expensive? The documentation says that it uses "either 1Megx9 or 4Megx9, 80 nanosecond SIMMs" for a total of 16MB supported. However, the only 30 pin 80ns 9 chip RAM I can find on Ebay specifics that it is for MAC. Looking for some guidance here.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

30p SIMMs aren't rocket science. Just like other SIMMs, they come in parity (3/9 chip) and non-parity (2/8 chip) versions and in sizes of 256kB, 1MB, 4MB and 16MB. Apparently these cards only support 1MB and 4MB SIMMs. Speeds are max speeds and are given in times, so lower is better. If the card requires 80ns, anything below that (70ns is very commons0 is fine to.

The SIMMs themselves don't care what kind of system they are used on, so 1 or 4MB SIMMs for MAC will work on PCs and probably this card too. I once had some 16MB 30p SIMMs that I used in a Mac SE-30 and a 486 PC. Would possibly give a kidney for 4x 16MB SIMMs again now 😉

Reply 3 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

30p SIMMs aren't rocket science. Just like other SIMMs, they come in parity (3/9 chip) and non-parity (2/8 chip) versions and in sizes of 256kB, 1MB, 4MB and 16MB. Apparently these cards only support 1MB and 4MB SIMMs. Speeds are max speeds and are given in times, so lower is better. If the card requires 80ns, anything below that (70ns is very commons0 is fine to.

If the ratings are for max speeds, and lower is better than wouldn't faster RAM not be supported? I'm confused by this. Aside from the ns, it sounds like the most important thing is that it is parity (9 chip) since it specifies #Megx9.

Would possibly give a kidney for 4x 16MB SIMMs again now 😉

Why? Is SIMM expensive and rare now?

Reply 4 of 11, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

I once had some 16MB 30p SIMMs that I used in a Mac SE-30 and a 486 PC. Would possibly give a kidney for 4x 16MB SIMMs again now 😉

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150973316008
A kidney for $40US is cheap. ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
dionb wrote:

I once had some 16MB 30p SIMMs that I used in a Mac SE-30 and a 486 PC. Would possibly give a kidney for 4x 16MB SIMMs again now 😉

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150973316008
A kidney for $40US is cheap. ^.^

Slightly cheaper listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/64MB-SET-OF-FOUR-16M … x9/352583195963

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I highly recommend you get 9-chip memory. Although the 3-chip memory has parity and should be functionally identical, in practice 9-chip 30-pin SIMMs are a hell of a lot more compatible. I have a lot of motherboards and memory cards that don't function at all with the 3 chip stuff.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I highly recommend you get 9-chip memory. Although the 3-chip memory has parity and should be functionally identical, in practice 9-chip 30-pin SIMMs are a hell of a lot more compatible. I have a lot of motherboards and memory cards that don't function at all with the 3 chip stuff.

Okay -- but is it really fine to use other speeds outside what the manual specifies? (80ns)

Reply 9 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

The SIMMs themselves don't care what kind of system they are used on, so 1 or 4MB SIMMs for MAC will work on PCs and probably this card too.

No. Macs used no parity.
You can use Mac SIMMs only if your BIOS provides an option to disable RAM parity checking.
[OT]
One of the reason why I hated Apple since they 1984 introduced the Mac.
Outside outrageously expensive, inside a closed system that used the lowliest crap made expensive by using castrated proprietary modification.
No memory parity protection. SCSI drives without ID jumpers. SATA drives without SMART. Brittlest low quality plastics. And if you want to get help/replacement for your flawed Mac, you must sign an NDA first...
[/OT]

Reply 10 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
infiniteclouds wrote:

[...]

If the ratings are for max speeds, and lower is better than wouldn't faster RAM not be supported? I'm confused by this.

SIMMs are basically dumb passive devices. They don't clock anything themselves, they are clocked at a certain speed by the memory controller. If they can handle the speed, it's fine, if not you lose data or crash. See it like a speed limit on a winding road- you don't *have* to drive at that speed, you can also go slower, but if you go faster you might not make the bend. Equally, sometimes the limits are set too low and you can easily drive a bit faster (overclocking). However 80ns isn't challenging, so no point in trying to overclock even slower modules. Just go for 80ns or slower. Once again, most 30p SIMMs tend to be 70ns and that wil work fine. 100ns might not.

Aside from the ns, it sounds like the most important thing is that it is parity (9 chip) since it specifies #Megx9.

Yes, this is a requirement for parity.

Would possibly give a kidney for 4x 16MB SIMMs again now 😉

Why? Is SIMM expensive and rare now?

Higher capacity 30p SIMMs are relatively rare and expensive - but less so in the US it seems than over here looking at those eBay listings.

infiniteclouds wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Okay -- but is it really fine to use other speeds outside what the manual specifies? (80ns)

Lower numbers fine (but unnecessary), higher bad.

retardware wrote:
No. Macs used no parity. You can use Mac SIMMs only if your BIOS provides an option to disable RAM parity checking. [OT] One of […]
Show full quote
dionb wrote:

The SIMMs themselves don't care what kind of system they are used on, so 1 or 4MB SIMMs for MAC will work on PCs and probably this card too.

No. Macs used no parity.
You can use Mac SIMMs only if your BIOS provides an option to disable RAM parity checking.
[OT]
One of the reason why I hated Apple since they 1984 introduced the Mac.
Outside outrageously expensive, inside a closed system that used the lowliest crap made expensive by using castrated proprietary modification.
No memory parity protection. SCSI drives without ID jumpers. SATA drives without SMART. Brittlest low quality plastics. And if you want to get help/replacement for your flawed Mac, you must sign an NDA first...
[/OT]

IIRC it varied from Mac to Mac. Take a look at the eBay listings linked to for "Mac" 16MB SIMMs above here. One's non-parity, the rest are all parity. If you look for parity, it's fine regardless of Mac vs PC vs whatever else used 30p SIMMs.

Your criticism might be valid versus Unix workstations, but compared to the low-end kludge together of whatever IBM didn't need at the time that was the IBM PC, the Mac was a marvel of coherent engineering. Just look at the need for things like EMS cards (the reason for this topic)... And that's me as a PC person with a distaste for Mac-style marketing saying that 😉

Reply 11 of 11, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

IIRC it varied from Mac to Mac. Take a look at the eBay listings linked to for "Mac" 16MB SIMMs above here. One's non-parity, the rest are all parity. If you look for parity, it's fine regardless of Mac vs PC vs whatever else used 30p SIMMs.

Your criticism might be valid versus Unix workstations, but compared to the low-end kludge together of whatever IBM didn't need at the time that was the IBM PC, the Mac was a marvel of coherent engineering. Just look at the need for things like EMS cards (the reason for this topic)... And that's me as a PC person with a distaste for Mac-style marketing saying that 😉

Actually back in that time, 9-chip SIMMs were much cheaper than "original" Apple branded 8-chip SIMMs.
It was widespread to buy PC SIMMs for using in Macs. In the beginning only with people who had technical knowledge or got good advice, later it became common, just to save a lot of money. And these now get sold as "Mac" memories.
Truth is that Apple saved not only at the parity, but even at the refresh counter bits. But, yes, later they changed that for a number of models, possibly to counter the data rot issues common with non-error-protected memories.