VOGONS

First post, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a socket 1156 board with a Core i5-760 CPU for free from a friend a few months ago, and since it gave me possibility to use the 16GB DDR3 kit I had collecting dust in a drawer, I decided to upgrade my secondary rig, which until then was equipped with an old socket 771 modded Asus P5B Deluxe board and a Xeon X5470, even though the i5-760 actually is somewhat slower than the Xeon. It's nice with a generally more modern platform too.

Since then I've been looking for an i7-875k or i7-880 to replace the i5. Since I probably will replace my current i7-3770k main rig once Zen 3 is released, which then will become my new secondary rig, I really don't want to pay ebay prices. Kept my eyes open on the local market instead.
During these months, I've seen plenty of socket 1366 CPUs for sale, but not a single 1156 one. One would believe it should be the other way around, got the impression that socket 1366 was the HEDT platform of that generation.

If you look at the second hand market for later generations of Core i processors though, the HEDT versions are much rarer, as expected.

Was really out of the loop during the time when the first generation Core i CPUs were new, was happy with my socket 775/771 rig then, and didn't get back into it before upgrading to my current one.

So, in short, is there any good explanation why socket 1156 CPUs seems to be so rare? Is it just coincidence that noone's been offering any of those when I've been looking for them? Or is it perhaps even just a local thing?

Reply 3 of 13, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sold one a couple weeks ago on ebay, I had picked up a second hand rig at a local flea market for €65

It had 17-860 2.8GHz, Asus P7P55D mobo, 4Gb DDR3, 500Gb HDD, Saphire HD4850 1Gb DDR3, a DVD Writer and Cooler Master Centurion 5 case

I put the CPU, mobo and HD4850 into auction no reserve. The CPU fetched £41 + postage, the mobo also fetched £41 + postage, and the HD4850 didn't sell. So that seems to be the current price when auctioned on ebay.

I was happy enough with that, £82 is about €95 so it gave me a €30 profit, plus I still have the other parts (4Gb DDR3, 500Gb HDD, HD4850, DVD writer and CPU cooler) and I just built a Core 2 Duo AGP Win 98 Rig into the Cooler Master Centurion 5. Happy days.

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kaputnik wrote:

Oh, it's that simple? Guess the 1366 platform was more long lived then? 😀

Just a tad; 1366 was introduced before 1156, and they were discontinued around the same time. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

Just a tad; 1366 was introduced before 1156, and they were discontinued around the same time. 😀

s1156 wasn't really faster either and 1366 was also overclocked pretty close and both platforms were more than fast enough at that time so no need to upgrade form 1366 either. And the fact that 1366 supports triple channel ram, more ram and an upgradepath to a 6 core + hyperthreading makes it even today much more popular.

But you can hunt for a Xeon version of the s1156: doesn't even need a mod and works perfectly! The x3470 is the i7 2,9ghz version and is for sale in china for example for 30-35 dollars. Great cpu for CHEAP!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
dr_st wrote:
kaputnik wrote:

s1156 wasn't really faster either and 1366 was also overclocked pretty close and both platforms were more than fast enough at that time so no need to upgrade form 1366 either. And the fact that 1366 supports triple channel ram, more ram and an upgradepath to a 6 core + hyperthreading makes it even today much more popular.

Now maybe. In the day it was actually the inferior platform unless you actually needed more than the 16+8 PCIe lanes (CF-only) and/or you needed more memory bandwidth than dual channel could use - which was almost never the case in gaming.

When gaming with a single GPU, the higher PCIe latency of the So1366 platform gave lower clock-for-clock performance than So1156.

But of course, that's the rational data-based analysis. Most people went for the big numbers if they wanted to shell out. That explains the lack of high-end CPUs for So1156: from i7-870 onwards you were paying more than you would for an i7-920. In fact the low-end So1156 CPUs, things like the i3-530 and i5-750 are quite common and even the i7-860 can be found easily, as it was a good choice for 4-core 8-thread CPU with the best PCIe performance available at the time without breaking the bank.

But you can hunt for a Xeon version of the s1156: doesn't even need a mod and works perfectly! The x3470 is the i7 2,9ghz version and is for sale in china for example for 30-35 dollars. Great cpu for CHEAP!

Good idea indeed 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't know that about the pci-e latency so I went ahead and searched for an article about it. Now, I only read ONE so it might not be conclusive but that one seems to disagree. Testing results conclusion were that there wasn't any real performance difference: https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cpus/lynnfi … -performance/6/

Don't mean to start a discussion about it, just seems that it isn't a real big issue. Was a good read tough and you learn something new every day 😎

I fully agree with you on people going for the bigger numbers (triple channel, 6 core upgradepath, full 2x 16 lanes pci-e etc. ) even missing out on the latest and greatest sata connections (while really needed for those insanely fast upcoming affordable ssd disks at the time).

I had an i7 920 touching the 4ghz (thanks to an enormous big 2KG Thearmaltight True Copper heatsink and 120mm fans! cause it was HOT) and it was a nice setup. Later went for the 2500k and still have that today as my main pc. Much later got 2 Lynnfield computers for 2 racing setups upstairs and they are fine too, very fast and good overclocks for very little money nowadays! People are still paying too much for the s1366 boards today and that's perfect because that way I got my i7-860 and X3450 setups for cheap!

Reply 8 of 13, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using an i5-750 up until a few weeks ago as my primary computer. I was looking to upgrade that chip for the longest time while maintaining the same motherboard. The prices of that generation's higher end processors is outrageous. That i5-760 should overclock nicely.

Reply 9 of 13, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zero_sugar wrote:

I was using an i5-750 up until a few weeks ago as my primary computer. I was looking to upgrade that chip for the longest time while maintaining the same motherboard. The prices of that generation's higher end processors is outrageous. That i5-760 should overclock nicely.

That's where the Xeon x3470 comes in: It's cheap and the same chip as the i7-870

Reply 10 of 13, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Intel pulls this crap all the time, they introduce a new socket and shortly abandon it so that people can't upgrade their CPU without a new motherboard. I'm using a s.1150 Haswell CPU and i'm still bitter about that little caveat.

Reply 11 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:
Got a socket 1156 board with a Core i5-760 CPU for free from a friend a few months ago, and since it gave me possibility to use […]
Show full quote

Got a socket 1156 board with a Core i5-760 CPU for free from a friend a few months ago, and since it gave me possibility to use the 16GB DDR3 kit I had collecting dust in a drawer, I decided to upgrade my secondary rig, which until then was equipped with an old socket 771 modded Asus P5B Deluxe board and a Xeon X5470, even though the i5-760 actually is somewhat slower than the Xeon. It's nice with a generally more modern platform too.

Since then I've been looking for an i7-875k or i7-880 to replace the i5. Since I probably will replace my current i7-3770k main rig once Zen 3 is released, which then will become my new secondary rig, I really don't want to pay ebay prices. Kept my eyes open on the local market instead.
During these months, I've seen plenty of socket 1366 CPUs for sale, but not a single 1156 one. One would believe it should be the other way around, got the impression that socket 1366 was the HEDT platform of that generation.

If you look at the second hand market for later generations of Core i processors though, the HEDT versions are much rarer, as expected.

Was really out of the loop during the time when the first generation Core i CPUs were new, was happy with my socket 775/771 rig then, and didn't get back into it before upgrading to my current one.

So, in short, is there any good explanation why socket 1156 CPUs seems to be so rare? Is it just coincidence that noone's been offering any of those when I've been looking for them? Or is it perhaps even just a local thing?

I have the same kind of idea a couple of months ago. My primary rig is also (still) running a X5470 on an Asus P5 board (P5Q Premium in my case) and I was looking cheap and somewhat effective upgrade possibilities, and first checked 1156 boards. Although there are boards available which are somewhat comparable my exisiting one, the available CPUs in my "acceptable" price range are all inferior to my existing Xeon. So it's basicly "more bucks for no bangs" kind of deal. I'm still using my trusty old rig today.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 13, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, been looking for one of those Lynnfield Xeons aswell, but they seem to be non existant on the local market, and sadly, the Swedish postal service has started taking outrageous handling fees for parcels coming from outside the EU. Not to speak about the time the handling takes, it can be several months now. It's actually completely killed the "china shopping", noone shops from Aliexpress, chinese Ebay retailers, Dealextreme, etc anymore.

tayyare wrote:

I have the same kind of idea a couple of months ago. My primary rig is also (still) running a X5470 on an Asus P5 board (P5Q Premium in my case) and I was looking cheap and somewhat effective upgrade possibilities, and first checked 1156 boards. Although there are boards available which are somewhat comparable my exisiting one, the available CPUs in my "acceptable" price range are all inferior to my existing Xeon. So it's basicly "more bucks for no bangs" kind of deal. I'm still using my trusty old rig today.

Yeah, the X5470 was really a monster for its time. Did some benching before, it managed about half the CPU scores of my i7-3770k, which then ran on a slight overclock. It's also a phenomenal overclocker itself, had it running at 4GHz easily back in the day. Later on I only ran it on standard clock though, didn't want to stress that old mobo, doubted the VRM could handle the power draw in the long run. The standard 120W was already too close to the upper limit in my opinion, and it seems like the VRM is the weak point of most Asus boards.

At least here, socket 1155 stuff has started to become considered obsolete amongst enthusiasts. It's abundant, sold at very reasonable prices, and there are some really nice CPU alternatives available. Also, DDR3 memory makes it way easier to reach the amounts of RAM you want for modern OSes, finding 4 pcs matching 4GB DDR2 sticks can be quite hard. Perhaps a sensible upgrade path for you?

Reply 13 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The problem is, I'm still using Windows 7, 32/64 double boot with 8GB RAM, but 85% of my time is on 32 bit. That means I'm ok with 3.5GB of RAM in 85% of what I do.

I would like to have onboard USB 3.0, onboard SATA6 RAID and DDR3; instead of DDR2 and multiple additional PCIe cards for RAID and USB 3.0, but I think although I will not have any measurable performance gain by that kind of an upgrade(!), I still need to pay for a lower quality board with less features (no floppy, no COM port, less SATA ports, less USB ports, etc.) and a basicly "same perfomance" CPU, if not inferior.

We have a saying here: "trading your horse for a donkey". So I already disbanded the idea. Current decision is to contnue using the exisiting one till it dies of old age 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000