VOGONS

SATA HARD Disk in 286/386 Mobo: Is it possible?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 65, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wrote my IDE story here
http://rayer.g6.cz/hardware/retropc2.htm#XTIDE
you can use google translator or so...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 61 of 65, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marco wrote on 2024-02-14, 20:40:

Ah ok. Thanks a lot

I got a chance to look inside a Transcend PSD330 32GB. It had a Silicon Motion SM2236G Compact Flash controller.

https://static6.arrow.com/aropdfconversion/a5 … lixwtnrmu16.pdf

The SM2236 is the world’s highest performance and the lowest power consumption CompactFlash card controller. Fully compliant with CFA 6.0, the controller supports UDMA transfer on true-IDE and PCMCIA modes, especially designed for professional DSLR. The SM2236’s ECC can support most major NAND flash vendor’s new generation MLC/SLC NAND and perform global wear-leveling to evenly distribute the write and erase counts to each block. Incorporating the advanced ECC and global wear-leveling algorithm, the SM2236 can operate with various NAND flash memories/process geometries and maximize the life expectancy of CompactFlash card.

Applications

• CompactFlash Card
  • PATA Solid State Disk
  • High-Speed NAND Storage

Key Features

• Host interface
    * Compliant with CFA Specification v6.0
    * Supports IDE PIO modes 0~6 and UDMA modes 0~7
    * Supports PCMCIA UDMA modes 0~6
    * Supports Multi-word DMA modes 0~4
  • Flash interface and firmware
    * Quad channel: 4 channels and 8 chip enable(CE) pins per channel
    * Supports 2/4/8 KB per page
    * Supports 2-plane and interleave to optimize performance
    * Enhanced configurable BCH ECC engine
    * Global wear-leveling algorithm to effectively extend the product life expectancy
    * In-System Programming (ISP) provides flexibility for new Flash and device compatibility support

Reply 62 of 65, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. What’s your take away? It states that it supports PIO modes etc thats why I was taking it into consideration.
Do you want to say that this drive is more than ssd-in-the-box-converter?

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I

Reply 63 of 65, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marco wrote on 2024-02-17, 22:32:

Thanks. What’s your take away? It states that it supports PIO modes etc thats why I was taking it into consideration.
Do you want to say that this drive is more than ssd-in-the-box-converter?

What I found is:

1. it does not have a Sata device inside.
  2. it is a high end CF inside
  3. since the controller fully supports CF 6.0, there's a good chance that it could support TRIM, ATA-8, UDMA-7

Reply 64 of 65, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any thoughts as to why sata CD rom might not be working properly over a dual port ide to sata adapter that plugs into the motherboard. (Pentium era motherboard) tried this once, no longer set up but it didn’t work.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 65 of 65, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2024-02-18, 02:48:

Any thoughts as to why sata CD rom might not be working properly over a dual port ide to sata adapter that plugs into the motherboard. (Pentium era motherboard) tried this once, no longer set up but it didn’t work.

Whats the date on the drive? If it is older than 2007, you might have one of those atapi devices that’s natively pata with a built in bridge. In that case, good luck trying to run in through two bridges.

If it is a native sata drive, try using the bridge and atapi device on a newer controller to see if the bridge talks to the drive or try replacing the atapi device with a hard drive to see if the bridge talks to the controller.