VOGONS

First post, by hernan43

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old Gateway motherboard (440LX?) with a Pentium II 266MHz cpu and 128MB of RAM. The only devices plugged into the slots are a Voodoo3 AGP card, Sound Blaster 16 ISA(IRQ5), and a Music Quest clone card(IRQ7) also ISA.

The mouse I have is USB but it loads into DOS via the Legacy mouse settings in the BIOS.

Any game I play that uses the mouse has audio slowdown/stuttering when ever the mouse is moved. If you don’t touch the mouse everything plays fine.

I’ve tried both the MSDOS official mouse driver and CTMouse.exe. They both have the same issue.

I used to play DOS games via a very similar setup back in the day and did not have this issue so I am surprised that it is an issue now. With the exception of the midi card everything is period original.

I’ve tried messing with the IRQs and flipping settings in the BIOS to no avail. What else can I try?

Reply 1 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask all old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 12, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Although it's loaded in via legacy, it still needs to go via the USB controller and I'd imagine invoking the USB drivers. USB was never a DOS era thing so there's bound to be hiccups. I'd agree with dr_st and go for a ps/2 mouse.

Reply 5 of 12, by hernan43

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Try a PS/2 mouse?
Try to remove/disable one of the audio cards to see if there is any connection?

Ok so I took both cards out of the machine. The mouse still causes stutters in the actual animation in the games I’ve tried. For example Guybrush pauses his walking in MI1 if I move the mouse. Releasing the mouse causes his walking to animate normally.

I’ve purchased both a PS/2 and plain old serial mouse off of EBay. When they arrive I’ll try those and see how it goes. I’ll report back what I find. Thanks!

Reply 7 of 12, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Download the DOS NSSI program http://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm get the latest build and unzip it to you dos partition.
Load DOS with a clean boot (nothing, not even himem.sys) and load ctmouse. Run NSSI and select the benchmark from the menu (either one). Look the your real time benchmark result and then start moving the mouse in a continuous circle. If your score drops a lot (25%+ ) it's a problem with the mouse driver.

Reply 8 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the USB controller using the same IRQ as the video card? That would be my guess.

I am also guessing that the USB controller IRQ is hard linked to the same slot that the video card is in so no matter what, you will probably get that video stuttering when using a USB mouse in DOS.

Is there a PCI latency adjustment in the BIOS of that board? If so, try reducing it to 128 or 64.

See here for some options that should let you adjust it even if there isn't a setting in BIOS. TweakBIOS is what I used to use back in the day.
http://www.mdgx.com/speed.htm

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 12, by hernan43

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First I want to thank everyone for all of their help and their willingness to offer ideas. I ended up buying a generic PS/2 optical mouse:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https … %2F302835643311

It completely fixed all the issues. I can move the mouse as much as I want and it no longer affects the audio or the animations. I am so happy this fixed it. I can’t believe how unusual of an issue I had on my hands.

Again, I thank all of you for helping me solve this issue!

Reply 10 of 12, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, having a mouse controller instead of interrupting the CPU every time the mouse send back a bit of data can do that 😉

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 11 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
doaks80 wrote:

Yep, having a mouse controller instead of interrupting the CPU every time the mouse send back a bit of data can do that 😉

This makes me wonder, could we/someone make a new type of mouse controller card ?
One that's more intelligent (with it's own processor), causing interrupts fewer time or uses Memory Mapped I/O instead of I/O ports ?
The current siutation isn't exactly ideal. Serial Mice work fine, but cause much CPU load, whereas PS/2 style mice are rather jerky in Windows 3.x..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 12, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
This makes me wonder, could we/someone make a new type of mouse controller card ? One that's more intelligent (with it's own pro […]
Show full quote
doaks80 wrote:

This makes me wonder, could we/someone make a new type of mouse controller card ?
One that's more intelligent (with it's own processor), causing interrupts fewer time or uses Memory Mapped I/O instead of I/O ports ?
The current siutation isn't exactly ideal. Serial Mice work fine, but cause much CPU load, whereas PS/2 style mice are rather jerky in Windows 3.x..

Well of all the hobby expansion card projects you could do, this is probably the most feasible. You would probably want to start by looking at bus mouse controller cards which are an extremely simple design and were made for the win3.1 era.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium