VOGONS

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a Pentium 2 MMX 266MHZ machine with 32MB ram. The video card is an S3 Virge and it has a fresh installed of windows 95 on it. For whatever reason, I'm getting these weird artifacts on the screen after I open and close new windows and/or programs. Eventually the computer will lock up and I have to do a hard shutdown. I've tried a few different video cards as well as put them in differnt PCI slots and I am getting the same results. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thank you. I attached a couple photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3429.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3429.jpg
    File size
    487.14 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_3428.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_3428.jpg
    File size
    769.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 13, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote:

bad graphic card, bad driver, something wrong with pci controller/slot

So the graphics cards I’ve used all work great in other machines. I haven’t swapped out the ram sticks yet so I’ll try that. Maybe the contacts and/or PCI ports need to be cleaned out. The MB I’m using was pretty filthy when I received it. I sprayed a lot of the dirt off with compressed air but maybe it needs more of a deep cleaning. Could dirt and grime cause an issue like this? Other than the issue I’ve stated, everything seems to boot up and run fine.

Reply 4 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an odd one. I've seen things like that caused by a bad video card, but if it does it with multiple cards, I'm not sure.

Check for swollen or leaky capacitors on the motherboard.

Try a different power supply too.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 13, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

That's an odd one. I've seen things like that caused by a bad video card, but if it does it with multiple cards, I'm not sure.

Check for swollen or leaky capacitors on the motherboard.

Try a different power supply too.

You know now that you mentioned it, my power supply has been making a funny noise off and on. It makes a low buzzing noise but it’s not constant. I didn’t think anything of it because the system seemed to be getting enough power. The power supply is about 10 years old. Once I get home from work I’ll see if the power supply is the issue.

Reply 6 of 13, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well after swapping out different power supplies, video cards, memory, HDD, and trying w95 and w98 (just to see), I still get the same issues with the artifacts and freezing. I'm thinking it is a problem with the motherboard. I have no idea what would be causing this on the motherboard itself. I don't see any obvious capacitors bulging or any other weird things going on with the circuitry. Any ideas out there?

The motherboard I am using is a Supermicro P6SKE II. It's a shame because I love the bios menu it has and I wanted to have a working P2 machine with win95.

Reply 7 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tensi0n wrote:

I'm thinking it is a problem with the motherboard. I have no idea what would be causing this on the motherboard itself.

corrupted pci transfer, have you tried different pci ports?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 13, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Things you will never own, but want to.

on a older vogons thread about (Things you will never own, but want to.) theres a post about that similar super micro 440fx board. that guy said that Unfortunately both revisions have wonky PCI that causes font and mouse cursor corruption with most graphics cards. S3 PCI chips actually lock up almost instantly once the drivers are installed.

Last edited by Windows9566 on 2019-03-01, 08:15. Edited 1 time in total.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 10 of 13, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Windows9566 wrote:

Things you will never own, but want to.

on a older vogons thread about (Things you will never own, but want to.) theres a post about that similar super micro 440fx board. that guy said that Unfortunately both revisions have wonky PCI that causes font and mouse cursor corruption with most graphics cards. S3 PCI chips actually lock up almost instantly once the drivers are installed.

Well that’s probably my problem 🤣. Both cards I’ve tested with this machine are S3 cards.

Reply 11 of 13, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:

I was able to dig up a Matrox 703 graphics card and installed it in my machine. The issues I've been having went away so it appears the S3 cards where the issue. The problem is now I can't find actual drivers for the card so I am running it with the standard VGA drivers from win95. Does anyone know where I can find the drivers for this? I created a new post reference my driver question: Matrox 703 Graphics Card

Thanks.

Reply 13 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rasz_pl wrote:

no driver installed = you cant be sure its working

Right, the vast majority of graphical problems will only show up when drivers are installed.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.