VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I have to do a little bit of soldering and i was wondering if anyone had any reference to correctly solder these types of pins.

I.e. what is a good way to connect the wire to the silvery bits? You need to clamp 'm as well as solder?

Advice appreciated!

d4IaYMJ.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sockets with the pins sticking out are meant for through the hole positions on circuit boards. The crimp on wire connectors are normally just crimped on with the appropriate crimp tool. Soldering them will most likely make them not fit in the plugs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah. OK. So no solder at all? It seems very delicate, especially the small "hook" at the bottom that clips in the socket type plug. When you insert the silvery bits they're really stuck, just wondering about the wire bit. So, clamping would be enough?

Love to see a tutorial (or two) but can't really find anything on YouTube. I'm probably not using the right keywords...

Reply 3 of 4, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:

Ah. OK. So no solder at all? It seems very delicate, especially the small "hook" at the bottom that clips in the socket type plug. When you insert the silvery bits they're really stuck, just wondering about the wire bit. So, clamping would be enough?

Love to see a tutorial (or two) but can't really find anything on YouTube. I'm probably not using the right keywords...

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtumwt8IR8

Reply 4 of 4, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need one of these to crimp the really small 1mm JST connectors. There are these cheaper blue chinese crimping tools, but they can't do the small ones, only the bigger DuPont and Molex types with a 2.54 or more pin pitch.