Reply 40 of 48, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rolling wrote on 2023-04-07, 09:04:
Hi guys, […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,

sorry for digging up the old thread, but i guess my problem is quite similar...

I'm trying to resurrect an Olivetti PCS 286 machine at the moment and the power supply stands in my way. The fuse was blown, i already changed the two Rifa/ Kemet 0.47 Uf caps and put in a new fuse. At least there's no explosion anymore. When turning on, i hear a click (but no fan) and can measure the following voltages (while connected to mobo with hdd) .

1° BROWN: +5.06V
2° BROWN: +5.06V
1° BLACK: GND
2° BLACK: GND
RED: -0.19V (shoud be +12V)
BLUE: -12.10V
WHITE: +5.06V (shoud be -5V)

RED and WHITE seem to be wrong, but i don't know if that's a problem created by capacitors or any other component. I just measured the bridge rectifier, which seems to be ok.

Maybe anyone has a hunch?

Your problem should be in the selected part of the psu pcb. You can post some pictures with yours and the selected area, front and rear, maybe i can assist you further.

Attachments

• psuo.jpg
    Filename
    psuo.jpg
    File size
    1.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 48, by Rolling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi bogdan,

that's interesting! I always assumed there's an error in the input section of the psu, but i guess you're right - a problem in the output section makes more sense!

Here are some pictures of my psu:

P1240172.JPG
Filename
P1240172.JPG
File size
360.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
P1240176.JPG
Filename
P1240176.JPG
File size
369.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
P1240177.JPG
Filename
P1240177.JPG
File size
323.37 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
P1240178.JPG
Filename
P1240178.JPG
File size
341.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
P1240179.JPG
Filename
P1240179.JPG
File size
154.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 42 of 48, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you post a better picture of that area/check the solder joints ?

Attachments

• solder.jpg
    Filename
    solder.jpg
    File size
    97.21 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 43 of 48, by Rolling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You're right! Those joints look definitely broken! Unbelievable... I checked the whole psu, but somehow never noticed the broken joints... 😒

I'll fix them and post an update tomorrow, wife ist calling ^^

Reply 44 of 48, by Rolling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I fixed the broken joints on the transistor and now i get a clean 12v signal on the red lane - very nice!

I'm still getting +5V on the white lane, but i assume that's ok as mentioned Re: Olivetti PCS86 won't start - PSU?. Curiously i'm getting -5V on the pin, which has no line connected:

P1240171.JPG
Filename
P1240171.JPG
File size
564.98 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I guess it's time to connect some peripheral devices to it and see if it boots up...

Reply 45 of 48, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad to hear. The withe line should be power good signal, as stated. -5v is probably done by a regulator somewhere on the board, from the -12v line, so don't try to feed it externally.

Reply 46 of 48, by Rolling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably a bit off topic, but at the moment i only have this monochrome brother ct-1050 monitor, which i'ld like to use, to test the pcs 286.

As mentioned here https://archive.org/details/Olivetti-PCS-286-Headland, the olivetti pc shoud support monochrome monitors but sadly mine doesn't have a D-Sub 15 conncector, but a D-Sub 9 MDA connector. Is there any way to make an adapter for this?

Better solution would probably be to just get a display with vga output... ^^

Reply 47 of 48, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rolling wrote on 2023-04-08, 13:33:

D-Sub 15 conncector, but a D-Sub 9 MDA connector. Is there any way to make an adapter for this?

Better solution would probably be to just get a display with vga output... ^^

Yep, nailed it - there are some such adapters but they are for early multimode VGA monitors, not for making a VGA card run in MDA/Hercules mode, but if you have the correct card you can use it if you set the bios to "mono ext" I think!

Reply 48 of 48, by Rolling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sounds interesting, maybe i'll have a look at this in the future.

Yesterday i found an older vga flatscreen monitor to test the pc. Can't really tell you how happy i am to see the little olivetti back in business! 😉

P1240396.JPG
Filename
P1240396.JPG
File size
597.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Now i'm waiting for an XTIDE-ROM to try to get a slightly bigger hard drive to work with the old italian! 😀

Thanks for your awesome help!!!