VOGONS

AMD 486 dx4 100Mhz thoughts

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We had this case at home when I was young(er), but with a 66MHz Intel DX/2. I have been looking for it for quite a while! Congrats on finding one, and I like that you have made a video on it! (Now there will be more people looking for it, yay! 😉)

I did get the desktop version a while back, so there is a whole family!

i4NeWkAl.jpg

Also, a bigtower version was seen in this thread of Dutch advertisements: Randomly scanned old hardware ads from 1987-2002

1982 to 2001

Reply 22 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AMD's DX4-100 being cheaper than Intel's DX2-66 (49$ vs 59$ in sep 1996)

AMD CPU’s where popular with budget computer builders because they cost 1/3 the price of an Intel CPU’s.
But I never had any luck build with AMD CPU’s I must have been doing it wrong because I don’t have these problems today. So I always just purchased Intel CPU’s.
I found Intel CPU’s to be dependable and reliable and compatible with most hardware.
My AMD builds always had problems and would always crash the computer.
But I like them now. They perform okay.

Reply 23 of 29, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

I haven’t tried on vintage hardware but mpxplay (dos) claims it only needs a dx4-100 for mp3 playback

Indeed it will work, as I have done it on my own 486 build, a near-exact recreation of my previously-mentioned childhood system. As I recall though, I needed to download a special version of mpxplay optimized specifically for the 486 to get it to play properly. Of course, turning off Turbo immediately murders it. 🤣

I was also able to find an MP3 player (Can't remember the name, but it was not WinAmp) that worked adequately under Win95 on that system, but I had to disable stereo playback (didn't need to re-encode the MP3 files, just a settings change in the player), and it had trouble playing any MP3s higher than ~256kbps (it'll play them without skipping...just not at the right speed).

As a semi-related aside, I'd say my Compaq Presario 2200 with a Cyrix MediaGX 180 is the absolute slowest system I have capable of playing back MP3s without any issues under Windows. Figured it's semi-related since the first-gen MediaGX is basically nothing more than a souped-up 5x86, which itself is just a faster 486.

Reply 25 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I totally agree, I gave 95 a second chance on my DX4 and actually I wasn't disappointed. It seems like some 486 setups perform better than others. (My 1995 5x86 felt slower when I tried it)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 26 of 29, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

As a semi-related aside, I'd say my Compaq Presario 2200 with a Cyrix MediaGX 180 is the absolute slowest system I have capable of playing back MP3s without any issues under Windows. Figured it's semi-related since the first-gen MediaGX is basically nothing more than a souped-up 5x86, which itself is just a faster 486.

Weeeeell.... That's not quite true though. For the AMD, the 5x86 is just a faster 486, but this is Cyrix architecture. Their 5x86 is actually based on the 6x86 architecture. Architecturally, it is more similar to the Pentium than to the 486, although it's limited to the same instruction set as the 486.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 27 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well depending of which MediaGX do you have, it may support MMX, improving audio decoding performance further.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 28 of 29, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind these aren't our main PC anymore.
Back then we asked them to perform Office, gaming, and worst offender internet duties all while anti virus and whatever else also running in the background.
By comparison now we get to run bare minimum software, and what is installed is nice mature optimised software with most bugs ironed out.

We upgraded our DX2/66 to Win95 with the original 8MB, it was ok but Netscape would slowly eat up all the ram.
This got upgraded to 16MB and was better.
Towards the end of its life as a 2nd PC it had 64MB and NT4. It was slow to start but once at the desktop made for a good stable Office 97 PC (while someone else played games on the faster PC)