VOGONS

First post, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Re: Gravis Ultrasound MAX alongside Sound Blaster - Potential Issues?

you can even add a PAS to your system 😁

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 2 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some vastly more baroque setups mentioned here occasionally.

I have a GUS Classic, PAS16 and Aztech NXPro (=SBPro2.0-compatible with OPL3, also supports Covox and DSS) working happily alongside each other, and would like to add an SB16 with CQM to the mix, but am having PnP headaches there. It is however more than possible theoretically, and you could probably add a few more if you wanted.

Reply 3 of 5, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still need to try it with my Primax Soundstorm and SB Pro 2. The first attempt was emmmmm not so successful but maybe I took a wrong set of drivers :p.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 5 of 5, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually just got an Ultrasound MAX and I did manage to hit some major roadblocks. For starters, DMA 5 only worked in DOS, not Windows, but DMA 3 did the trick. Once I had the GUS at IRQ 5 DMA 3 and my Sound Blaster Pro 2 at IRQ 7 DMA 1 I wasn't having too much trouble, in DOS or Windows, until I tried running DOOM. Sound effects were fine, but the SBPRO had no music. Removed the GUS, music came back. Apparently it was a conflict on port 388 for the Adlib functionality. Well, the ACE can disable that in hardware. Cool, but I've got a MAX. Solution? In DOS, load SBOS, then unload it with SBOS -f. Sound Blaster Pro music for DOOM worked after that. Couldn't find a similar trick for Windows without locking the machine and I didn't see if this workaround broke anything else, but it's a really good trick for releasing the Adlib listener when using DOS.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.