VOGONS

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using this board with an Intel 486DX2 and the board is currently running at 33mhz. For whatever reason, the board will not run at 66mhz. I've double checked all of the jumpers and went through all of the bios settings and I can't figure why. The turbo switch appears to be working but it doesn't do anything when its activated and deactivated.

Here is a link to the jumper settings: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/L/L … EISA-REV-1.html

I have the same board as this guy: My Ultimate VL/EISA 486

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that board as well. The DX2 66Mhz runs a 33Mhz bus as its clock doubled. It should be jumped for 33Mhz (JP102 103 and 104 all CLOSED) and work correctly.

Reply 2 of 6, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing I didn’t mention was that the cmos battery is dead. It’s one of those old cylinder ones that are soldered directly to the board. I need to replace it. Do you think that could cause my issues? I’ll check my jumpers again once I get home but I’m 99% sure they are set like you described. I’ll take some photos when I get home later today and post them up as well.

Reply 3 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you show a picture of the board? These should use DALLAS DS1387 RAMified clock chips, not barrel batteries. Maybe you have a different board. At least I am pretty sure mine doesn't even have a place to solder on a barrel battery.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 6, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Can you show a picture of the board? These should use DALLAS DS1387 RAMified clock chips, not barrel batteries. Maybe you have a different board. At least I am pretty sure mine doesn't even have a place to solder on a barrel battery.

So I apologize reference the battery I was referring to. It DOES have the Dallas DS1387. I got mixed up with another board I am working on. The other issues I've been talking about are with this board. I have attached some photos anyways so you all can see if there's anything I have set wrong. Thanks.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    933.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 6, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I’m not sure what exactly happens but I decided to load the bios defaults again after going over all the jumper settings and now the machine works great. I didn’t have time to run some benchmarks but doom ran great. I’ll hopefully run some benchmarks tonight and I’ll give an update. Thanks all and Anonymous coward for your responses. .

Reply 6 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. Your board has a KBC with a 95 datecode. The rest of the board seems to be from 1993. I guess the controller went bad at some point? It seems to be a pretty common problem on these EISA boards for some reason.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium