VOGONS

First post, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Friends,

i got my first MFM harddrive. Seagate ST-251-1 with an NCL 5425 controller card. I would like to try and recover the data; request from the guy i got it.
First try to just plug the stuff together diddn't work of course, where would be the fun in that... 😀
Things i tried:

1. Another (older) Motherboard. Jaguar V.

2. I somewhere read to try HDD type 40. 820-6-820-820-17 ... 41MB
This fits to the parameters i found online, but the drive ist not recognized "c: drive error" in post.
After booting via a floppy when i chkdsk or "dir c:" i get a "data error reading drive c:"

3. Then i used "SpeedStor 6.0.3". I let it check a bit and everything seemed to pass. The partition manager got some more results:

Passes.jpg
Filename
Passes.jpg
File size
398.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
sstor1.jpg
Filename
sstor1.jpg
File size
355.61 KiB
Views
File license
sstor2.jpg
Filename
sstor2.jpg
File size
399.73 KiB
Views
File license

So i asume there is something on that HDD. But most interesting are shown drive parameters, 12 Headsand 85Mb!?!

4. Next i tried those above parameters and i got through POST (no disk error), but still wouldn't boot from c: and "dir c:" just hangs after "file not found".

5. Next i tried Type 44. 830-10-65535-830-17 ... 69MB. I still get the drive error but this is where i got the most for now, a "dir c:" showed the result you can see in the pic.

result#.jpg
Filename
result#.jpg
File size
362.2 KiB
Views
File license

6. Side note: When i look at statsons for the controller card, the parameters of the hdd aren't in the supported devices. Also in the case that there is/was dos 3.3 installed wouldn't that support 32Mb Hdds?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

• Driveerror.jpg
    Filename
    Driveerror.jpg
    File size
    224.24 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which [user] HDD type was the HDD originally installed as?

Without this information it is hard to proceed, because it is well possible that there was used a formatter (Ontrack, Speedstor etc which booted its own driver, which set the correct HDD type stored in the bootstrap.

The "dir" output only shows that the HDD data is there, but the C/H/S setting is wrong, resulting in total garbage.

Edit: Try using a 6-head HDD type with at most 820cyls. If a driver is on the HDD, it will correct the data so that the data at the end of the HDD can be accessed.

Reply 2 of 5, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, agree to that. I have also read that it may result in data loss when using another controller than the disk was formatted with, but this does not seem to be the case here.

Dont give up, you are almost there!

I would propose you put Norton Diskedit on your bootdisk and take a look at the structure. You should be able to identify the MBR and the directory structure and take a look whats in.

Reply 3 of 5, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, i had a bit time to play around.
After trying a Dos 3.31 bootdisk i could see the root dir (at least part oif it), with bios hdd type 40, which should be tzhe correct number for that HDD. Still it wouldn't give me the command line back and at post i got an drive c: error.
Some other settings (733/5/17) gave me the inside of the dos dir when doing a "dir c:" and no error in post. So there is still something.
Is there a way to extract or better guess the correct c/h/s-settings. Or could it still be, that the drive is damaged somehow?

greetings

Reply 4 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason why I asked for looking in the "source" computers' BIOS setup for determining the C/H/S values is just that back in that time these values were very often set incorrectly.
As the size of the HDD was just enormous (at least from the perspective back then) many people did not bother whether they got 35 or 40 megabytes, they were just happy when they succeeded to get the drive formatted and did not care anymore.

Aside of that (very easy) way of finding the correct values there is the (very difficult) alternative to analyze the drive with a disk editor to find out the actual CHS values being used. But that is far from simple, it requires thorough knowledge of the partition table, MBR and FAT filesystem internals.

So I again advise to spend a few minutes to find what was the BIOS setting.

Or just ditch the data and make a clean low level format using the correct drive settings.

Reply 5 of 5, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As said, put Norton Diskedit on your boot floppy and send us a screenshot of the mbr (1st sector). Then you get an idea what the structure on your disk is. You can also browse the directory strcuture. Very useful and powerful programm, easy to use. You can even make a dump of your drive to a file on i.e. a network drive and reconstruct on your windows pc.