VOGONS

First post, by Steely Dan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've recently put together some old parts I had laying around with the intention of using it for some Windows 98 gaming...

Mother: ASRock K7VM3 (VIA KM266Pro)
Processor: AMD Sempron 2200 (1.5ghz)
RAM: 1Gb DDR333
Video: GeForce MX440-SE AGP
Sound: Integrated
Storage: 40Gb WD Caviar and DVD-RW
PSU: 500w

After setting up Windows 98, I've installed the drivers from the manufactures website. For the GeForce I used 56.64. Both with the integrated graphics card (some S3 UniChrome) and the dedicated GeForce, I've felt the mouse cursor moving as if it was "20 fps" in Windows and Windows installation, really choppy. I decided to move on and try some games. Installed Quake III Arena and while it plays at 120 fps stuck (using the internal frame limiter and internal fps display), the game feels like it's playing at 30 fps. Tried setting AGP fast write to Enabled from the Bios but it made no noticeable change. At this point I don't really know if it's a hardware issue or software. Not sure what else I could try.

The RetroJunk: ASRock K7VM3 | AMD Sempron 2200 1.5Ghz | 1Gb DDR333 | WD Caviar 40Gb | GeForce MX440-SE 64Mb | Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 6, by Steely Dan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:

what type of mouse do you have?

Both keyboard and mouse are PS/2 (no adapters or anything).

The RetroJunk: ASRock K7VM3 | AMD Sempron 2200 1.5Ghz | 1Gb DDR333 | WD Caviar 40Gb | GeForce MX440-SE 64Mb | Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 6, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you want to try a modern USB mouse?

I do know that serial mice can respond a bit slowly, and maybe your PS/2 mouse is like that.

Have you installed the VIA 4in1's?
Also, are you able to reduce the amount of memory to 512meg. Windows 98 doesn't really like running on more than that?

Also, be aware that the geforce 4mx-se cards, depending on the exact card you have, can be pretty wimpy slow. But I don't think that is the problem right now.

Reply 4 of 6, by Steely Dan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
canthearu wrote:
Did you want to try a modern USB mouse? […]
Show full quote

Did you want to try a modern USB mouse?

I do know that serial mice can respond a bit slowly, and maybe your PS/2 mouse is like that.

Have you installed the VIA 4in1's?
Also, are you able to reduce the amount of memory to 512meg. Windows 98 doesn't really like running on more than that?

Also, be aware that the geforce 4mx-se cards, depending on the exact card you have, can be pretty wimpy slow. But I don't think that is the problem right now.

I could try a USB mouse maybe, I was also thinking it has to be a weird input issue.

I've installed VIA 4in1's from the ASRock page (version 4.46).

I don't have a 512 ram stick to try. I can try limiting if it is possible, really don't remember about that.

And about the performance of the MX440 yeah I know, but I'm sure it has to handle Quake3 fine.

Reply 6 of 6, by Steely Dan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Use PS2Rate utility.

This makes the computer freeze if set to anything above 40hz (and the pc speaker goes bonkers beeping)

But I can confirm that is an input problem!

I did a simple test, just loaded a demo in q3 and it plays smooth.

EDIT:

Well, grabbed a cheap USB wireless mouse I had laying around. Works perfectly now! tested Quake2 and 3, both smooth.

Now I'm curious as to why this happened with the PS2 mouse. First time in my 30 years I see something like this. Also curious as to why my motherboard beeped like a madman when I changed the rate with PS2rate, hope I didn't break anything.

EDIT 2:

Not sure what fixed what, but PS2rate DOES work now. It was pretty dodgy at first but for some reason after I installed the drivers to use USB drives it started working perfectly, could even set it to run at windows startup without issues, and now all is smooth.