VOGONS

First post, by topaz75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am building a 486 machine and am running into some issues.

Board is a PC Chips M912 V1.7. It came with a AMD 486 DX2-80 CPU which runs fine. I tried to upgrade to a AMD 486 DX4-120 and set the jumpers according to the documentation found here: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Oldman. … ips/jumpers.htm

I tried both alternatives mentioned on there for AMD 486DX4, my chip is the later V8B variant. In both cases, the system boots, but only runs the CPU at 100 MHz. When I am using the settings for the V8B version, it gets to the POST screen where it displays the 100 MHz, and then hangs when the separate IDE controller tries to access the HDD.

Any ideas what to try next? SInce the CPU is a 40 MHz FSB variant, I find it odd that the 80 MHz one works fine, and the 120 MHz one that really is identical except for the internal clock multiplier won't work.

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like the motherboard doesn't know the CPU and can't run without knowing it properly. My Aopen AP43 behaved that way before I updated the BIOS with my 5x86 (it was fine when configured as a DX4, but using the 4x multiplier made the computer to hang)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 9, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a roughly similar problem. I have this soyo board wich is similar but not the same as those i could find on stasons. When i tried my d2-80 it would always triple the clock (75-100-120), no matter what i jumpered. After reading some amd datasheets i found that there where some amds which use another pin for the clock-command "CLKMUL" (which is often writeback/through for other CPUs). I had to do the wire trick 😀 as the pic shows to get a gnd signal for that pin.

WP_20190317_005.jpg
Filename
WP_20190317_005.jpg
File size
847.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also you should run something to check the "real" frequency of the cpu like CHKCPU. When i had 25mhz fsb the afore mentioned dx2-80 showed as dx-80 in POST but obviously ran at ~75mhz.

Greetings

Reply 3 of 9, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happens alot on a few of my boards when running any cpu over 100mhz it will show it as 100mhz as the bios. doesn't know any higher. But using chkcpu will show the cpu running at the real speed, don't always believe the post screen

Reply 4 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's funny, on the old 5V 486 motherboards I can get just about any of the 486 going using a VRM. The BIOSes on the newer boards really seem to make life hell.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 9, by topaz75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Treeman was right. It shows 100 MHz on the POST screen, but all the benchmarks I ran from Phil's Dosbench CD actually show the CPU running at 120 MHz. And after re-seating the IDE controller it also sees the hard drive now.

Still it is giving me headaches, because with the 120 MHz CPU it is actually SLOWER than with the 80 MHz one, according to most of Phil's benchmarks. The only two showing it faster is the Speedsys one, which just measures the CPU speed and the DOOM Benchmark with high details shows it at least on par around 20 FPS. All the others show it slower than the same system with the 80 MHz CPU. I also ran it with the 80 MHz and a different graphics card (ISA ATI Wonder instead of a Diamond Stealth 24VL VLB) and it is faster than that variant.

So i AM seeing the improvement I would expect from going from the ISA VGA card to the VLB one. But going from the 80 MHz CPU to the 120 MHz doesn't do anything noticeable. Unless all those Benchmarks are almost exclusively depending on the graphics card and the CPU doesn't matter, but i always thought especially DOOM was taxing on the CPU. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• bench22.jpg
    Filename
    bench22.jpg
    File size
    64.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a AMD DX2-80 and mine is actually a rebranded DX4, maybe yours runs at 120MHz too ? Is it identified as a DX2-80 by benchmarks ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 9, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when I was using my amd 586 133 at normal speed benchmarks would show it correct, when I clocked it to 160 suddenly my score fell to like 30 from 100+ speedsys still shows it as 160 tho and quake score shows the improvement. Somebody said in a post somewhere once that some of the benchmarks don't identify the AMD chips correct and get confused. Run a quake or doom time demo I usually only use quake from 80mhz to 120mhz im taking a guess should be about 1-2fps improvement, then you can safely say you are running at 120mhz

I just saw you got doom there, there seems to be a slight improvement but I have not too much experience in doom. scores

Reply 8 of 9, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

I have a AMD DX2-80 and mine is actually a rebranded DX4, maybe yours runs at 120MHz too ? Is it identified as a DX2-80 by benchmarks ?

How does one know it is rebranded? As is stated above mine would run at 120, but i never did any benches.

Reply 9 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I learned that by mistake. I configured it wrongly once, and saw "486DX4" and indeed it was running at 100MHz, so that's a DX4 in disguise x)