VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I finally decided to give the HP Vectra Pentium 75 a friend donated a modern make-over. I already added 8MB more memory to a total of 16MB and now wanted to replace the VERY noisy drive with a compact flash drive. This worked with my IBM PCs who are now very quiet and faster than before but this HP Vectra is really a LOT harder than the IBM PCs.

Basically, I got an IDE-to-CF adapter and a 2GB CF card. I used fdisk to set a new active primary partition and formatted the card from a DOS 6.22 boot disk (it recognized about 250MB whereas IBM DOS would recognize all 2GB) and that worked to boot from the drive. I then used a GoTek to try and install DOS 6.22 completely and ... I keep getting read/write errors. DOS install lets you retry though so eventually DOS got installed and the drive would boot in DOS 6.22.

Next step was Windows 3.11. Using the installation disks on my Gotek, I started setup and very quickly ran into more drive read/write errors but this time, setup won't let me retry so installing Windows 3.11 like this just won't work. I thought "maybe it's the Gotek?" and started to copy the files to the C drive hoping to run installation from there but even just copying, gave me errors - something like "sector not found on drive C".

Now, I tried another 2GB CF card, I tried another IDE-to-CF adapter and the result is the same. Might it be the BIOS flipping out over it being a 2GB drive (it sees it as a 270MB drive in the BIOS) or what is going on?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it sees it as 270MB drive in the BIOS then the Cylinder/Head/Sector settings are set incorrectly in order for this machine to use the CF card. You need to fiddle around with the C/H/S settings so it will initialize and use the full 2GB (if that BIOS supports it, which given that it runs a P75, era-wise, it should.)

You could try the following settings if the HDD autodetect (if the BIOS has it) doesnt work

3949 16 63 resulting in 2,038,063,104 bytes.

If you don't have any luck in fiddling around with the C/H/S settings, then you may have use overlay software like EZ-Drive (it will translate the CHS data for your BIOS when booted from HDD/card)

Reply 2 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:
If it sees it as 270MB drive in the BIOS then the Cylinder/Head/Sector settings are set incorrectly in order for this machine to […]
Show full quote

If it sees it as 270MB drive in the BIOS then the Cylinder/Head/Sector settings are set incorrectly in order for this machine to use the CF card. You need to fiddle around with the C/H/S settings so it will initialize and use the full 2GB (if that BIOS supports it, which given that it runs a P75, era-wise, it should.)

You could try the following settings if the HDD autodetect (if the BIOS has it) doesnt work

If you don't have any luck in fiddling around with the C/H/S settings, then you may have use overlay software like EZ-Drive (it will translate the CHS data for your BIOS when booted from HDD/card)

Well it was easier than that to get 2GB to show up - this HP BIOS is so weird. I had to go into setup, go to the hard drive and it was set to 270MB Custom. I only had to press F8 (next value) and it jumped to 2GB right away.

FDISK will now make a 2GB partition but the reading and writing errors remain. I just formatted it and at the end of the format, got a drive reading error.

I'm starting to think the adapters are to blame. My IBM PCs use different adapters but these had no master/slave pins and the HP Vectra only has a single IDE cable and those adapters really didn't like having a CD drive on the same cable so I had to get an adapter that did have a master/slave option but the controller on it may be too slow to read the data. Retrying always works but during installations and saving games this would be a serious issue. I think I may have to go with the option of a small SSD instead. I'll see if I can hook up my 480GB SSD using a SATA-to-PATA - it worked for my IBM PC 330 so who knows. If it works, I'll order a small 64GB one - no sense wasting a large drive just to use 2GB of it.

EDIT: I forgot I also had a IDE-to-SD adapter and a 2GB SD card to go with it. This one didn't work in my IBM PCs for some reason but it seems to work fine in this one. It detected the card fine and installed DOS without any error. I think this confirms the issue is with the CF adapters. The SD card feels a lot snappier too - so maybe in the end it was a good thing the CF didn't work out.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 3 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jaZz_KCS wrote:

That isn't a good value for cylinders (under DOS 6.22), you want to stay with the limits of 1024/255/63. Increase the number of heads instead.
If DOS gives you "sector not found" errors it's a strong sign that the CHS values are out of range (for either DOS or the BIOS).

Reply 4 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:
jaZz_KCS wrote:

That isn't a good value for cylinders (under DOS 6.22), you want to stay with the limits of 1024/255/63. Increase the number of heads instead.
If DOS gives you "sector not found" errors it's a strong sign that the CHS values are out of range (for either DOS or the BIOS).

Well right now, the values are 3872 - 16 - 63 and I no longer get any errors. Everything installed fine using these (detected by the BIOS).

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 6 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

Have you done a surface scan with chkdsk/scandisk to make sure the entire disk is accessible?

Good idea - I'm doing a scandisk right now. It's about halfway without any errors now and I don't really expect any.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB

Reply 8 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

how does a surface scan help with that?

It uses BIOS int13 to read every sector in the partition. If DOS has an issue with accessing cylinders beyond 1023 it will throw an error when it reaches that part of the disk.

Reply 9 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:
mrau wrote:

how does a surface scan help with that?

It uses BIOS int13 to read every sector in the partition. If DOS has an issue with accessing cylinders beyond 1023 it will throw an error when it reaches that part of the disk.

Well oddly enough, it did throw an error for the last 1% of sectors - none had any data so it just disabled those. A second scan showed no problems. I lost about 120MB out of a 2GB SD card so it's not that bad.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB