VOGONS

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I keep getting an "Invalid Configuration Information" error every time I boot up the machine. I've gone through all of the configuration settings and it all appears correct. There are some switches on the mb and I only found 1 jumper (I think that's the cmos reset). Not sure what the problem is. Is there a setup utility program that I need to run? The bios doesn't have much for me to change and it's a bit annoying. When I hit F1 to continue, everything boots up fine. I can't seem to find any manuals or any helpful documentation on this Gateway. Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that the bios battery is brand new. I tested it as well with my meter and it is working. The bios is holding its memory.

Reply 3 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 2 Gateway 2000's 486v33.
One works and the other one has a bios problem.
I hate these Gateway motherboard bios. I put new batteries in them but they are still finicky.
Sometimes they boot up okay and other times they don't.
I had a hard time trying to get the bios to auto-detect the hard-drives.
I am using a WD 540mb hard drives that work fine in one Gateway but will not work in the other gateway.
I just gave up on these Gateway computer and put them away because they just did not work well.
I tried everything from resetting the bios. But I could not flash the bios because it would not take the new ROM file.
So I just put them away in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0490.JPG
    File size
    149.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0477.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0477.JPG
    File size
    294.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0489.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0489.JPG
    File size
    123.87 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm...Well sounds like you're saying the bios probably is the problem and not really anything I have set wrong. I thought about trying another IDE controller to see if that would do anything. I guess maybe I should. If anyone else has any info, please chime in. Otherwise I'll report back late after I try another controller.

Reply 5 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, indeed. Phoenix did make shitty 486 BIOSes. I believe a MR-BIOS may exist for some of these old Micron motherboards, but good luck finding it!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yes, indeed. Phoenix did make shitty 486 BIOSes. I believe a MR-BIOS may exist for some of these old Micron motherboards, but good luck finding it!

Yeah.......It doesn't like IDE controllers either. Just tried a BusLogic and no dice.

Reply 7 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

0blivi0n100 also had problems with buildin ide controller https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2018 … x2-66v-desktop/

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

0blivi0n100 also had problems with buildin ide controller https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2018 … x2-66v-desktop/

Yhea, the built in IDE gave me problems at every step. hell, even when I did opt for a separate IDE controller card it still was kind of picky on what CD/HDD drives I used and how they were configured. I ended up running the HDD off a ISA EIDE controller and the CD drive off a VLB SCSI controller card. I'd just go SCSI with this thing if its an option for you. should solve your issues.