VOGONS

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all. im having issues with my 486 that was running perfect with win95 untill i went to swap out the sd 8gb card that had win 95 on it cause i wanted to play around with win 3.1 and was hoping i could switch easily between the 2 operating systems.by swapping out the cards i put a 2gb card in the pc now i can no longer boot past the first post screen. i have had this issue before and fixed it by manually entering the correct hard drive parameters in the bios.
problem is i have now lost and forgotten what those parameters are. auto dectect does pick up the sd card but fails to boot past the post screen. so im a bit stuck at the moment/ does anyone know a easy way of finding these settings? bios is american megatrends 1994. the one with the mouse support maybe someone knows of it. any help really appreciated cause im sitting here with my main pc (486) not working and the local computer shop wont help 🤣. even my 8gb sd card wont boot now. thanks all for help

Reply 1 of 1, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See post here of Matze79:
SD Card Adapter On an Old 386

However, I found that certain old systems with certain old BIOS'es are very picky about the boot block of the flash media. Often the only way to get it right is to boot up the old system with a floppy and do "SYS C:" from A:. Sometimes it is required to do the whole FDISK partition initialisation that way, on the system itself. Other times there are IDE modules that work OK in Normal mode but not in LBA mode. Always check whether or not DOS sees the whole space of the IDE device and backup your files before messing around with these matters.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul