First post, by Predator99
I was thinking about what to do with my "halved" Bocaram AT card:
Bought these (retro) hardware today
Fixing would be an option, but the result would not be of any collectors value and I am not going to use it as I already own enough other RAM-cards.
Therefore I would propose to desolder all components and use it as template to make a copy of the PCB? These cards are rather hard to get for a reasonable price. I know there is already a LoTech EMS-only card, but I think the BocaRAM has many advantages:
- Very nice looking full length card, much better retro look than the LoTech
- drivers and documentation available http://ps-2.kev009.com/bocaresearch/Drivers&S … d/File_area_20/
- supports EMS and XMS
- up to 2.5 MB - should be enough for most applications
- 16 bit
- only using standard components, no special ICs. China BoM should be rather cheap
- no SMD soldering, very beginners-friendly
- optional daughter board for an even better look and up to 4 MB
- supports 4164 and 41256 DRAMs. Maybe the most difficult and expensive to get parts, but everybody using a 286/386 should have some available?
- Boca Research doesnt exist anymore, no trouble with copyright?
What do you think about the idea? Would anybody be interested in such card? Is it worth the effort or wasted time/impossible?
The bad part is: I am totally out of time and I would take months for desoldering work and I have no experience so far with PCB designing.
Therefore, anybody interested in doing this fun project to speed it up? I am willing to ship the card for free 😀