VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't you have to worry about painting the metal case to match the front plastics (which all yellow differently) or do you guys paint them as well?

I have an old dual 5.25" XT with a very yellowed faceplace and a very scratched metal case (inside is pretty much mint) that I repainted a couple years ago and it turned out ok.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 21 of 26, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the case has scratches or the colour differs largly, I pait it as well.
I first spraypaint the hood once and let it dry - repeat with a second or third coating.
On the last coating I treat the surface with a foam roller for the surface finish.
Worked well for the last two cases I did.

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 22 of 26, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! There's an Android program called "Color Grab".
It can identify colours quite well, I think, even in different lighting.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 26, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my experiance a real colour chart/guide is more helpful.
I've got some (Pantone/HKS/RAL etc.) but they are usually quite exprensive to buy, but maybe you can borrow one at your local DIY store ...

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 24 of 26, by Demo85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone here try Rustoleum Smokey Beige? I've read on Reddit that it's a good match. The few times i'm in a big box store they haven't had it. Might just order it on Amazon to try out. Have a card reader i'm trying to blend into a retro build.

Reply 25 of 26, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

recently I have been asked how (my favourite) spraypaint colours RAL 1013 VS 9002 look in comparison.
... so I've put two cases side by side an took a snap shot.

RAL.jpg
Filename
RAL.jpg
File size
29.74 KiB
Views
File comment
RAL 1013 VS RAL 9002
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 26 of 26, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ildonaldo wrote on 2023-02-03, 08:42:

recently I have been asked how (my favourite) spraypaint colours RAL 1013 VS 9002 look in comparison.
... so I've put two cases side by side an took a snap shot.

RAL.jpg

That RAL 1013 looks pretty much exactly like what my color comparison chart showed. I think 9003 is a better fit for most machines than 9002 still though.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.