VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have been avoiding any boards so far that require AT power. But I recently bought a socket 7 board that is AT power only. SIS chipset with pentium MMX and EDO ram. I would like to reuse a power supply I already have, its 20+4 pin atx.

I bought one of these adapters

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

But I am not sure how I am suppose to use it. The board takes 9 pin power. What is the proper way to plug everything in so I don't fry something 😵

Reply 1 of 3, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you plug in the AT plugs to the motherboard you always make sure the black wires of each plug are together it's the black to black rule. I hope that helps and good luck with your project

Reply 2 of 3, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about the funny metal bits with plastic sleeving? And when I cross the pin for the power on the board headers, does it work as intended or do I get power as soon as I plug in the power supply?

Reply 3 of 3, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The funny metal bits with plastic sleeving are what you need to short to turn the PSU on. And keep them shorted to keep the PSU on. Normally, you would do this by connecting those metal bits to one side of an AT power switch. When you turn the switch on, it shorts the metal connections, when you flip the switch off, it disconnects them.