VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I've got a Sony Trinity G200 CRT monitor and when its connected via VGA cable to my IBM AT and the power button is pressed on it turns on automatically. When I try and connect this to my PII clone PC via the same cable there is no way to turn it on. Even by pressing the power button on the monitor. Seems if there is no VGA single the monitor does not turn on. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rob

Reply 2 of 9, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ this.

My LG 702S does this as well, if nothing is connected on the VGA end it'll turn on and say that there is no signal...

...but when connected without any signal being sent, it'll go to sleep (power light amber) but on some systems it'll act as if the cable is not connected.

Does it turns on when you turn on the PII that it's connected to?

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 3 of 9, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very strange....

If I disconnect everything and press the power button the monitor does not turn on. No orange LED nothing.
If I connect it (INPUT1) to my PII computer there is no way to turn on the monitor. PC is on and the monitor does not turn on. Even pressing the on button on the monitor.
IF I connect it (INPUT1) to my IBM AT computer as soon as I turn on the IBM it turns on the monitor and I can use INPUT 2 with the PII. This monitor has a hard wired VGA cable (input 1 and a VGA connector for another computer or dual head screens INPUT 2)
IF I connect it (INPUT1) to my IBM AT and press the power button on the monitor it turns the monitor off or on. (Thus testing the power button works).

So what's the IBM got that the PII clone does not have? Is this standard behaviour for a Sony G200?

Reply 5 of 9, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retardware wrote:

Make sure you use a 15-pin VGA cable.
Many cheap/older cables have not all wires connected, leading to such phenomena.

I'll check the other cable but if I use the hard wired cable (which works with the ibm) on the PII it does not turn on.

Reply 6 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This makes me curious which kind of VGA cards you are using that cause these problems.
I guess some are not really compatible, maybe you need to place a few bridges to make it conform.

Reply 7 of 9, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's really odd, I would have expected it to be the other way around, where the newer system turns it on but not the older system. Do you have any other systems to test it with other than those two?

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 9 of 9, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just tried it with a Dell Optiplex. Its got a DVI connector so using a DVI to VGA connector I connected it to the main INPUT 1 VGA cable on the monitor. Nothing. Does not turn on. Needs the IBMs power 🤣. This is strange.

The IBM AT has an OAK VGA 87 1MB ISA card.

🙁