VOGONS

First post, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have imaged all the disks in the promo kit, and have scanned everything in the binder.

Binder contents:
- Four 1.2MB 5.25" Diskettes
- TIGA Bitmap Logos
- Desktop Artist (2 Disks)
- Manual in ASCII Format
- Three Plastic TIGA Promotional Table Signs
- Technical Specifications
- Three Pages of Demonstration TIGA Logo Printouts
- Three Pages of Small BYTE Award Stickers
- Two Pages of Large BYTE Award Stickers
- A High Quality Picture of the TI TMS34010 and TMS3420 Chips
- A Large High Quality Printout of the TIGA Logo
- TIGA Technical Manual

Photos of Kit:
eZPxG9Nh.jpg
LV6Zjoyh.jpg
qMXVmmhh.jpg
RQXKzNph.jpg
JLow7XGh.jpg
vXhbZZZh.jpg
N09nSxOh.jpg
hYGQWMdh.jpg

The attached .zip file contains only the disk images.
The other .zip file was too large to upload here, so I uploaded it on Google Drive. contains the 'Art' manual, scans of all the pages, pictures, stickers, signs, disks, and sleeves.
Download link for scans:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/104jgFMyOeqXu … iew?usp=sharing

The disk images are in .dsk format, and should open with WinImage.

Attachments

• Filename
    Disk Images.zip
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 1 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that's what I call box art.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well did the Byte award come proactively? 😉

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I forgot to mention, keep in mind the software only works if you have a TIGA card installed in your system.

As a side note, I'm searching for a TI-PC (Texas Instruments Professional Computer) to make a replica TIGA demo system. Does anyone know someone who has one?

Reply 5 of 11, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

I forgot to mention, keep in mind the software only works if you have a TIGA card installed in your system.

As a side note, I'm searching for a TI-PC (Texas Instruments Professional Computer) to make a replica TIGA demo system. Does anyone know someone who has one?

Not heard of that system before 😲 Looks like it predates TIGA, How does it support it?

I would like to know what PC compatible gfx have a TMS34020? I have yet to see one.

Reply 7 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The TIGA cards will work in any ISA based system, but TI used their TI-PCs for everything. My father said they were still all over the place in empty cubes until they remodeled the building a few years ago.
You'd think a company like TI would be all cutting edge on all their systems, but one of our family friends who is also a TI employee says the chip production facilities are still largely run by DEC VAXs and PDP 11s.

Texas_PC.jpg

The TI-PC is a pretty generic 8088 class system. There isn't anything especially unique about it other than it's by TI. I thought about trying to get a booth at VCF sometime and have a TIGA history exhibit, complete with the promotional software running on a TIGA installed in the TI-PC. Those computers would have been what TI used to demo the card when they were advertising it.

Also, does the TIGA support a light pen? I kept seeing 'pen' mentioned in the manual and didn't know if it was referring to a physical light pen or a software drawing tool called 'pen'.

Reply 8 of 11, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dkarguth wrote:

Also, does the TIGA support a light pen? I kept seeing 'pen' mentioned in the manual and didn't know if it was referring to a physical light pen or a software drawing tool called 'pen'.

I don't think light pens have anything to do with the graphics card. They rely on CRT scanlines, so are gfx agnostic. I suspect it's a type of drawing function in the TIGA api, like a "brush" but behaves differently. Probably give it a colour and width/size and then plot it.

Found it: See http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/spvu015c/spvu015c.pdf page 5-56.

Reply 9 of 11, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote:

I would like to know what PC compatible gfx have a TMS34020? I have yet to see one.

There were a few with the 34010, less so with the 34020 - two I can think of offhand were the #9 GXiTC and the Hercules SuperStation 3D (which also sported an Intel i860).

TI demo of the 34010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=730tmDmzeDE

Reply 10 of 11, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:
spiroyster wrote:

There were a few with the 34010, less so with the 34020 - two I can think of offhand were the #9 GXiTC and the Hercules SuperStation 3D (which also sported an Intel i860).

TI demo of the 34010 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=730tmDmzeDE

Interesting! elianda has one of those #9 cards working. ISA based 3D accelerators?. I didn't realise it was a '20.

So while the IrisVision is considered the first 'dedicated' 3D accelerator, this is only because it was dedicated 3D using a dedicated API (IrisGL) and pipeline. However the TMM340XX, while not 'dedicated' to 3D, could actually accelerate 3D operations due its fully programmable nature, and predates IrisVision? It must be one of the first (if not the first) GPU chipset ever!

Time to brush the dust of my PG-1281 and re-attempt to get it working.

Reply 11 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll have to see what TIGA card my father's friend digs up for me. It's likely a TI made model, as he was provided a couple by TI while he was writing software for it. Who knows, perhaps its a pre-production prototype or something!