VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but I have an ATX case with an "HD" audio header, and I can't figure out how to connect to any of my sound cards.

I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music PCI Card
Aureal Vortex 2 PCI
and ESS ISA PCI

All of them have inputs for 4 pin CD audio, and various headers with lots of pins for other stuff (Wavetables and the like) but I can't find anything with the same pin arrangement as the HD Audio header.

I did a quick google, and it looks like the legacy AC '97 header, which looks identical but is wired differently, was used in the past, but that is all I have been able to discover. It seems like there should be a way to make this work. Anybody know how? Much appreciated, thank you.

Reply 1 of 6, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I remember right, all that does is go to the front panel jacks. None of those cards will have the header for it, they're too old. I generally only see that connector on newer motherboards. (newer as in post 2005)

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 2 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, they can be adapted and are interchangeable. I took the lazy route and just ordered a header adapter from Ebay for $0.99. I think ModDIY and PerformancePC's also sell them. I used one to adapt the AC97 audio of my VIA C7 motherboard to a Silverstone Raven case with HD audio. Some motherboards have a BIOS option to switch from AC97 to HD Audio as well.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote:

Yes, they can be adapted and are interchangeable. I took the lazy route and just ordered a header adapter from Ebay for $0.99. I think ModDIY and PerformancePC's also sell them. I used one to adapt the AC97 audio of my VIA C7 motherboard to a Silverstone Raven case with HD audio. Some motherboards have a BIOS option to switch from AC97 to HD Audio as well.

I am a little confused... If I plug in the header into my motherboard. wouldn't that only give me front panel audio for my integrated audio? How does my sound card route to the front panel?

Reply 4 of 6, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m sorry to say but if it doesn’t have a connector then you can’t. You can check the manuals to be sure. Most are available online if you search. Some sound blasters had the facility to connect a 5.25” bay module for front panel connections but nothing that connected to built in connections on cases. Most people would just keave them. If you’re determined, you could make up a hd audio connector block to 3.5mm jacks, route the cable out the back of the machine and plug them into the jacks on the back of the sound card.

Ugh I hate typing on iPhones.

Reply 5 of 6, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
wiretap wrote:

I am a little confused... If I plug in the header into my motherboard. wouldn't that only give me front panel audio for my integrated audio? How does my sound card route to the front panel?

I was just speaking in terms of AC97 vs HD Audio. Don't know what specific pin headers your sound cards have available. If the Sound Blaster has the large 40-something pin header, you could rig that up to work. It has the speaker channels available. If you don't know what any of it means and it looks foreign to you, don't do it because you can burn out portions of the card if you hook up the cables incorrectly..

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The X-Fi has a hack you can try
https://hardforum.com/threads/x-fi-xtrememusi … le-mod.1355715/

the other 2 predate the AC97 header, or any other front panel connector. You may be able to hack something to connect to speaker out on the card but would be exactly that a hack and not really worth it IMHO