VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got a hold of an Ibm Valuepoint 6482 486 DX4 100MHz a while back.

In this IBM Valuepoint DX4-100 thread I ask about floppies and a few other things.

Short explenation. The original dos disk where buggered, or at least the first disk was.
May have ordered wrong Gotek that was flashed for something else than an ordinary ibm-pc drive, as when flashed it with flash floppy, I got it working after first having configured it wrong.

Now I have dos 6.22 installed on a sd card with SD2SCSI using a Adpatech 1542CP controller.
I also have a SCSIi DVD-rom connected, as I need it to terminate the bus.
Lost the original resistors that followed SD2SCSI card.

Now to the problem at hand.
Ordered cache chips of this type UM61m256K-15 32x8.
They fit, bit are not detected by the system.

Got 9 of them, and fitted 8 to cache sockets, and changed jumpers to 256kb cache.
Also installed 9nth to a socket on the other side of the riser boardwhere ISA cards are connected.

Think this is tag ram 2 socket. But when installing it, machine will not boot.
Remove it, and it boots up fine again.

I believe there is a tag ram socket more, that is label with a sticker that has the following written on it "BLFO".
This is a 20 pin socket.
I think I need to have both populated for cache to work, but can't find any information what sort of chip to get.

It is unknown everywhere I have seen.
Anybody have something similar, or happen to know what to get.
Have flashed it to latest bios(81 something).

Any ideas for a solution?

Reply 1 of 9, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A bit of an update.

Got a ST HP93L9244 (22pin) in the hope that it would work, but alas no cache is detected.
(I was wrong in first post, it is a 22 pin socket)

I tried getting 128Kb cache to work as I managed to put 1 of the UM61 chips in the wrong way, and now it gets very hot if I try to use it.
So that one is broken.

Still no L2 cache is detected.
So unless somebody knows what chips to use, I will have to give up on this.

A pity, as I really wanted to squeeze as much performance as I can out of the system.

Reply 2 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does this help.

Check here:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/c776.htm

Attachments

Reply 3 of 9, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not looked at that link before, but doesn't appear to be the same type as what I have.

I have looked at https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/I … -6482-6484.html as it is a 6482 I have.

Here there is 2 Tag chips. One seems to be the same as the cache chips.
The same as the link you provided, but there is also a 22pin one that has unknown specifications.

Another site I have looked at is http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/86ae.htm This mentions you need 9x28 pin for 256Kb cache, and 1x22 pin Tag ram.
It does list the Ibm part numbers, but not the specifications for them.

I think the 22 pin one is the key, to get the bios to recognize the cache ram.
But what type of chip I need, has eluded me.

Reply 4 of 9, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 22pin chip is probably one of the special TAG RAM chips such as IDT6178S

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, Should be jumpers 9 & 10

CACHE JUMPER CONFIGURATION

J9 , J10

128KB
Pins 1 & 2 closed
Pins 1 & 2 closed

256KB
Pins 2 & 3 closed
Pins 2 & 3 closed

To upgrade from 128KB cache to 256KB, you need to add four 28-pin modules (32K x 8, 25ns SRAM) and replace the existing TAG module with one 28-pin TAG (32K x 8, 20ns SRAM).
To upgrade from 0KB cache to 128KB or 256KB, you need to add either 4 (for 128KB) or 8 (for 256KB) 28-pin modules (32K x 8, 25ns). You also need to add a TAG module (32K x 8, 20 ns SRAM for 256KB or 8K x 8, 20 ns SRAM for 128KB)
Cache memory jumpers are preset at the factory for 0/128KB of cache. If you are installing 256KB, reset the jumpers by moving them forward to cover the two jumper pins.

Attachments

• c776_0.gif
    Filename
    c776_0.gif
    File size
    16.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 9, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have done it correctly,regarding setting jumpers and so on, it's the 22 pin tag I think is the problem.

Did a quick search on ebay, and got 3 hits for IDT6178S.
One (and it had to be the cheapest one) has the wrong form factor, but I may try my luck with one of the others-

Reply 7 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good luck. Good to know because I am thinking about upgrading the cache on my IBM PS/1 Valuepoint too.
Keep us informed. First I am going to update the CPU with Intel Overdrive 486dx-66mhz.
I like these Value point IBM’s because they are mostly non-proprietary parts and easy and cheap to upgrade and fix. Unlike the IBM computers with Proprietary parts mainly the IBM PS/2’s and older.

Reply 8 of 9, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Still not decided if I try or not.

Apart from the cache part 😒 , I agree that the Value Point is much better to live with than PS/2 probably is.
Never owned one my self, but have seen Youtube videos on it.

If I decide to go for it, it probably will take some time as shipping is usually not fast.