VOGONS

First post, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The second post today is about my problem with the AWE32 I have, installed on same machine as other post(Valuepoint 6482 DX4 100MHz).
It's a CT3990 that is populated with 2x16mb sticks, so 28mb available(as AWE32 can't use all 32mb).
I bought the ram separately, so did not come with the card when I got it.

Installed the drivers, but on booting I get errors from diagnose and aweutil.

When running diagnose after booting, I can enter I/O adress to 280H, but when pressing "next" all I get is a red box with error that "Advanced WavEffects Synthesis" is found to be missing or faulty.

Am asked to try again, and then call technical support, if it happens again.
Something it does.

When running aweutil, I get "ERR012: AWE32 initialization failed".

I do remember having problems with this months ago, when tested on another computer, that I at best could get it to work as an ordinary SB16, and very rarely to work as it should.
But on this machine it looks to be non working.
Maybe got worse during storage.

I am thinking on setup my solder iron again, and re flow, but uncertain witch of the chips might be faulty.
Or if this is a common fault and maybe fixable.

For now I will have to do with an ESS1869F with Dreamblaster S1,as the Audican32 plus with Dreamblaster X2, as I viewed as an alternative, I can't find.

Reply 1 of 5, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sounds like you need to run CTCU/CTCM to setup the card correctly.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 5, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for pointing me in right direction.

Ram on the card is detected, when running diagnose, for example.
However still isn't working properly.

I get an IRQ error.

Strange thing is that IRQ is set to 10 in set blaster environment, but 7 by ctcm.
Tried to change it to 7 everywhere, but then gets IRQ error. In fact none of the possible IRQs are available according to diagnose.

Don't have much installed.
S3 2mb graphics is in built, got the Adaptech AHA-1542CP scsi card, and then the AWE32.

Maybe I have drivers loaded in wrong order.
Will try again a bit later.

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have a possible conflict with your LPT1 (parallel) port (which is usally set at IRQ7, port 378h).
Try IRQ5 - if you have a secondary parallel port, set at port 278h & IRQ5, then disable it.

Alternatively, if you have no use for any of your parallel ports, disable both and try IRQ5 again (which was normally the default IRQ on all SB Pro, SB16 and later sound cards)

The default settings are Baee port 220h, low DMA channel 1, high DMA channel 5, IRQ5, MIDI port 330h and EMU8000 port 620h (the latter "follows" your base port address).
If you have another sound card installed, then it will complicate matters.

Reply 4 of 5, by Viserion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had disabled serial and parallel ports beforehand.

Did found that IRQ 5 was set to used by ISA card in bios, and when I made it available, and ran diagnose again, and everything worked ok.

Did try it with Doom II, and while slow, it did work 😀

Thanks to both of you, as it looks like I had a working AWE32 after all.
Just the user who is faulty(as it often is).

Reply 5 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IRQ conflicts with the LPT never cause issues in my experience.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.