VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first overclock was the AMD 5x86-133@160. But it wasn't very stable so I usually ran it at 150 (or even less).

I had a K6-266 that wasn't happy with 100MHz FSB but could do 4.5*66 for 300 and was close to stably run at 5*66=333.
My K6-2-500 could do 550 but I really didn't like that system. It had a loud cooler and it still couldn't run really fast and stable. I still blame that Lucky Star MVP3 board.
I had a Palomino XP 1700+ that I could run at 1760 MHz with water cooling and multiplier mod in an ECS K7S5A. It was a fine CPU, I just happened to fry it when I left it unattended at a scene party and the cooler's retention part decided to give up in my absence.
Then I was looking for the limits of a T'bred 2100+ but they were ever shrinking.

It isn't a success story, is it? 🤣

But at least my Conroe Core 2 was a good one in a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P. I used that one for like 9 years, at 3.1GHz. It wasn't the best piece but it was long term stable at that clock.

Then came Sandy Bridge and now Ivy Bridge and 60-series chipset. And no overclock. But it's ok, even the i3-2100 was completely fine for me, let alone this i7-3770-like Xeon. Honestly, most of the time it's still overkill. How could it impose a CPU limit on a GTX650? 🤣

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 21 of 22, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard about OC in the late 90s, but didn't have the competence to do it, I still have a magazine I bought in 98 teaching you how to do overclocking!
but the PCs I had at the time were running with Intel and Compaq mbs, pretty much all locked for OC,

in 2003 I got an AXP and initially a asus with kt333a, and I got hooked, quickly I traded like 3-4 socket A boards (with NF2) looking for the best OC and features, I didn't do any significant OC, but had the tbred b at 2.4GHz for benchmarks, and 2.2 daily (it was mostly a 1700+), also had a 9500NP running with the 8 pipelines and 380Mhz on the core which was quite nice... the only physical mod I did was the "pin mod" to change the default multiplier,

the most fun with OC I had apart from my socket A days in 2003-2004 was later on with the E5200 and E5400 with a cheap Gigabyte G31M-S2L, after that I basically stopped OCing new hardware,

Reply 22 of 22, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I tried to overclock... semi fail.

Intended to change the refresh rate of my ISA Tseng ET4000AX from 70 to 100Hz.
When putting in a 20.48MHz xtal in, there was much noise and RAM error-like distortion.
Recapped the board (5 Samxon caps that didn't look very good anymore got replaced), but that only removed the RAM noise.
There were vertical bars that clearly pointed at the ET4000 chip.
Added 220nF parallel to each of the four 100nF caps that buffered the CRTC. Didn't change anything.
So had to go back to the previous step (18MHz).
At least this is a bit better than with the original 14.318 xtal, as it yields a 88Hz refresh rate.
The ET4000 doesn't get warm at all.

So I definitely need a better graphics card.
Bid for and won an auction (486DX2/66 VLB mobo with RAM, sound card and some ISA VGA that has VRAM and looks like it could have a Porsche chip). Photos were very bad, so the price was 31 euros only. When it arrives in a few days I'll know whether it is a good card...