VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Earlier today, I got a second TNT2 in the mail- a 32MB standard version from Creative Labs. Because of this, I now have two TNT2 cards- the other is a 16MB TNT2 Pro. I have enough leftover parts to make a second, quite competent Win98 gaming PC, with my old Gateway Tabor III motherboard (essentially an SE440BX-2, though different in a few ways), and as I was finally going through the steps of running the kinks out of the system (switching PCI cards in response to hardware conflicts, etc.) when it suddenly stopped doing much of anything.

I will turn the PC on, and it will give no video. It gives no error beeps, and seems to be running fine, but the numlock key does not change the numlock light at all. Before this, I had a few issues, but these were all ones I was able to run out of the system, at least the ones I had before whatever this is.

- PSU Failed. It did no damage to the motherboard, and this issue came up a while after the fact. There was no smoke, no sparks; the system just wouldn't even power on. I changed out the PSU, and the system worked.
- Had to mess around with the CD-Drive's IDE selector because it was set as a slave drive on an IDE port with nothing else on there.
- The floppy drive never worked, always acting like I had hooked it up wrong. Wasn't ever able to fix that before this problem.
- There was a resource conflict between my Crystal 4281 PCI sound card and something on the motherboard when it was installed in PCI Slot #2. This problem has been around since I first got the motherboard.

Here's what I've tried to fix this problem:

- I have disconnected all of the IDE drives, cables, and disconnected all of the power cables to the drives, starting with the floppy, going to the HDD, and then to the CD drive.
- I have removed all other cards from the system (I only had that PCI sound card and an ISA network card installed).
- I tried different video cards, none of which fixed the issue.
- I took out the BIOS coin cell battery to try and hard reset the BIOS. Again, no luck.

Interestingly enough, when I remove the RAM, it gives me the "I'm pissy, put RAM in me" beeps, so it gets to the point to where it checks for RAM, but somewhere beyond that, the system seems to lock up and cannot POST. I'm out of ideas on this one.

Specs of it so far:

Intel Pentium III Coppermine 600MHz
256MB PC133
nVidia TNT2 Pro 16MB AGP (Switched temporarily to GeForce FX5200 256MB AGP while trying to figure out if the video card was dead- it is a known working card, but I tried changing it out anyways to see if it would fix the problem).
WD400 40GB IDE HDD
Some 56x CD-ROM drive of some kind, generic IDE
Generic 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
Gateway Tabor III

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you got a PCI and/or isa video card you can test with?
CPU, Video card, 1 stick of ram, that's it, no luck try another stick of ram just to be sure.

The fact that it beeps with no ram seems to suggest that it gets to that past of the post test, but hangs before enabling the ps2 ports, at which point it'll either be corrupt bios or faulty electronics, both beyond my skill level as well sadly

Reply 2 of 3, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed, it happened to be the RAM. Not sure why it suddenly decided to die, but it did. I have another stick of PC1XX or some other speed (it has no labels) that seems to be so dead that the PC will beep like it has no memory installed at all.

So I got lucky with what problems were causing that.

On another note, I also happen to have a PCI video card that's so old that it calls itself a "GUI accelerator". I'm not quite sure of the name of it, but whenever I decide to do a pre-Windows 95 build, I'm probably going to use that as the video card. It comes with 1MB of VRAM onboard, upgradable to 2MB, so it doesn't seem to be too shabby for whatever time period it was released in.

Where am I?