VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there. I recently build a 775 system. I used a ASRock 775i65g, an audigy 2 zs. Drivers are installed for everything. And I installed DirectX 9.0c. I am.using windows 98 se.
For now I tried three different gpus, a Radeon 9800 XT, a GeForce 6600 gt and a Radeon 9600 XT. With every card I am getting the same result. Rollcage stage II does not start. It is frustrating. I don't know what I am doing wrong. The game crashes after the intro video. I am getting an error message that says that ddhelp caused a problem. I googled it, but didn't find a solution. Also I am not getting the possibility to choose between resolution before the game starts. It just starts the intro... And then crash...
Can someone please help me with this?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try an old wrapper and try rollcage glide
Do you have Rollcage Stage 2 Patch 1.0c ?
try another resolution
do other games work fine ?
Does your card pass all the tests in dxdiag.exe ? (especialy directdraw)
Try this :
1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System.
3. Click the Performance tab, and then click Graphics.
4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider until it is one notch to the right of
None (the Basic acceleration setting).
5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
6. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 5, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
Try an old wrapper and try rollcage glide Do you have Rollcage Stage 2 Patch 1.0c ? try another resolution do other games work f […]
Show full quote

Try an old wrapper and try rollcage glide
Do you have Rollcage Stage 2 Patch 1.0c ?
try another resolution
do other games work fine ?
Does your card pass all the tests in dxdiag.exe ? (especialy directdraw)

I tried openglide and nglide as well. Couldn't get glide mode even started.
I would try another resolution but unfortunately the game starts without the typical options menu where I can choose graphics mode. I click on it and intro begins. At the moment I am back at dx7 and when I start dxdiag it tells me, that there's an error - directdraw - it couldn't analyze display information.

With dx9 dxdiag runs without errors but it results in the error on game crash with ddhelp.

I will try the patch and tell what happens.

Third edit: when I put the slider for graphics acceleration to the left I get an ati driver error after reboot.
BUT! The game runs now... I still don't know what the problem was. But the patch solved it. I thank you so much.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 5, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you need a really old wrapper (didnt 98 only support dx 8.1 ?)
look here
http://www.glideunderground.com/modules.php?o … owcontent&id=89
do other games run without errors ?

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have some info on Glide wrappers for Windows 98 in this thread: Re: Carmageddon D3D acceleration in DOS

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
you need a really old wrapper (didnt 98 only support dx 8.1 ?) look here http://www.glideunderground.com/modules.php?o … owconte […]
Show full quote

you need a really old wrapper (didnt 98 only support dx 8.1 ?)
look here
http://www.glideunderground.com/modules.php?o … owcontent&id=89
do other games run without errors ?

Hello. Haven't been able to test so many games yet. But the few i looked at are running well.
I will go on experimenting with wrappers and tell about results. BTW after i tried nglide and openglide rollcage glide mode still can't be started. It says glide3x.dll is missing. I wondered if I have to reinstall the game after the wrapper is installed. So that glide ability can be recognized properly. Will try that this evening. (But direct3d mode looks very nice)
DirectX 9.0c June 2006 is compatible with windows 98.

Stiletto wrote:

I have some info on Glide wrappers for Windows 98 in this thread: Re: Carmageddon D3D acceleration in DOS

Will have a look. Thanks