VOGONS

First post, by Ncommander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hEY Guys
I want to know if a 486 motherboard without anything connected to it (no jumper on turbo pins on motherboard) means that the turbo is turned off, therefore running at a lower speed.

Or turbo pins jumpered mean that the speed will be lower?

did some motherboards require the pins to be jumpered in order to run at full speed?

Reply 1 of 5, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a fairly limited understanding of 486 machines, but to my knowledge, the general consensus is that the TURBO button actually slows down the machine, to allow it to run older software, so when TURBO is off, the system runs at full speed, and when TURBO is on, it slows it down.

Most switches like that work by shorting two jumpers, so in theory it should be running at full speed because those two jumper leads which would normally connect to the TURBO button are not shorted.

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well it depends of the motherboard.

Just set a jumper and look if the computer performs slower or faster.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ha! i never understood some motherboard either
for example i have one abit that has

pin 1 turbo signal
pin 2 turbo signal
pin 3 ground

1+2 is turbo mode
2+3 is slow mode

but i never understood what happens if no jumper is set.

Reply 4 of 5, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The quick answer: YES, you need to install a jumper to get full speed if you don't have a turbo button.

The longer answer is: MAYBE you're unlucky and get a board that is designed the wrong way around. I've not come across one personally but I'm sure they exist.

When turbo is depressed and the LED lights up, the system should go faster. If it works the other way around then the motherboard or case manufacturer did it wrong 😀