VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PSU from my Turbo XT system having failed recently, I decided to take the motherboard out of its case and transplant it into a spare AT case I had. All went ok until I started paying attention to the power connector which doesn't seem to be the AT standard - actually it's a connector I've noticed on many XT motherboards before so I guess this predates the AT "P8-P9" design?

sc9GwtGl.jpg

Two questions so far:

#1 Are they electrically compatible? The colors of the wires from the PSU are slightly different on the AT PSU compared to the XT one. The manual for the motherboard gives the following pinout:

P1
1 Power good
2 Not used
3 +12 Vdc
4 -12 Vdc
5 Ground
6 Ground

P2
1 Ground
2 Ground
3 -5 Vdc
4 +5 Vdc
5 +5 Vdc
6 +5 Vdc

From what I understand it looks pretty much identical to the AT P8 & P9 pinout, however pin 2 of P8 in the AT standard is +5v. So is there a risk if I plug a standard AT PSU which would then "feed" +5v to this "not used" pin on the motherboard? Sorry if this sounds really dumb, I don't understand much about electricity 🤣

#2 Are they physically compatible? I tried nudging the connector in to see if it would fit but it's giving me a hard time. The "mechanical coding" (for lack of a better term) on the AT PSU connectors seems to prevent me from inserting them in the slot. Do I need to file the P8 and P9 connectors to make them smooth, or are there any other solutions?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've always just connected AT psus to non-branded xt mobos and never had an issue... you can always check that pin2 with a multimeter

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a connector exactly like this in my Samsung XT clone, except pin 2 is actually missing from the connector.

The original PSU in that machine also uses weird non-standard colors (green for ground, for example) but I double checked the pinouts and everything lines up.

For me, that machine worked with AT-style power without issue (even with an ATX->AT converter). I did have to snip off the longer bits from what you call the "mechanical coding" to make it physically fit.

Most likely pin 2 is connected to nothing on the PCB. I would check that, and if you are still unsure you could always snip pin 2 from either the connector on the motherboard or the corresponding cable from the power supply.

Side note: these connectors REALLY SUCK. I'm glad they didn't use them for long, removing the cable from them is a real exercise in tedium... 😠

Reply 3 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My XT has been mounted in a AT case and it seems to have been working fine since 1988, so this should work without any problems ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is regular AT PSU connector. It was just cheaper non-keyed variant which was widely used on cheap motherboards. Electrically it's 100% the same, but it allows connecting the P8 and P9 connectors the wrong way so watch out.

Would you care sharing a good quality picture of your motherboard? It looks like it's almost the same as my KT 10 M/B we are trying to fix in this thread...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 10, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the replies. I used some brute force and managed to connect the PSU to the mobo and everything works fine so far - It's nice to have my XT back 😀

Here is a picture of the motherboard: It's an Octek 10Mhz Turbo Board.

lKKwUIEl.jpg

Pic was taken with my phone camera but I'll add a better picture shot with my DSLR as soon as I have access to my Lightroom PC.

I also have the manual for this board with the schematics in the appendix. I've scanned it as a PDF and tried uploading it to this post but the server won't let me as the file is over 5Mb. Let me know if you want me to send it to you directly.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

She's a beauty!
Also the OCTEK is probably my favourite brand from this era...
Looks just like mine Turbo XT just with less RAM chips...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can I have that manual too ? 😁

Also actually I wonder if Baby AT isn't just AT class motherboard designed to fit into XT cases ? Because real AT motherboard and cases are quite crate nowadays.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 8 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

I also have the manual for this board with the schematics in the appendix. I've scanned it as a PDF and tried uploading it to this post but the server won't let me as the file is over 5Mb. Let me know if you want me to send it to you directly.

Please! Please please! I will help alot fixing my motherboard I think… if not through the forum, then mail maybe: h*******r@g***l.com. Thanks!

PS: Also mega.nz is great file hosting/sharing service 😀

Last edited by HanJammer on 2019-04-19, 11:56. Edited 1 time in total.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 9 of 10, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info about mega.nz. I've just created an account, hope it's safe to use. In the mean time you might want to edit your last post to remove your email address unless you're not afraid of spam 🤣

Here is the link to the pdf manual

Hope the manual will be useful. I've just checked it once again I actually don't know if it contains schematics or if it's just a diagram. Hope I didn't give you false hope 😦

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 10 of 10, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

Thanks for the info about mega.nz. I've just created an account, hope it's safe to use. In the mean time you might want to edit your last post to remove your email address unless you're not afraid of spam 🤣

Here is the link to the pdf manual

Hope the manual will be useful. I've just checked it once again I actually don't know if it contains schematics or if it's just a diagram. Hope I didn't give you false hope 😦

Thanks! It doesn't contain schematics actually, just general layout of the motherboard, but it's interesting anyway.

I wouldn't keep confidential data on mega.nz but for sharing big files it's perfect.

PS: I don't care too much about spam hitting this e-mail as it's spam account…

I8v8PGb.jpg