VOGONS

First post, by Mezmaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anybody here have experience setting up a MadCatz Panther XL joystick/trackball controller? I put together a Windows 98SE machine with the sole purpose of trying this thing out, and I'm running into issues getting it to work with the games it's supposed to support.

It works as a normal flight stick in Windows with games that support joysticks. But the Panther XL Control Center doesn't seem to inject it or whatever into the DOS games it's supposed to support.

Some oddities: If I add it to the Gaming Options in the Control Panel as a "MadCatz Panther XL + DOS Joystick" which you would think should make it work with the DOS games, the Panther's DOS config program (alaunch) doesn't even see the controller plugged in and thus will not launch the game, giving the message "ERROR - MadCatz product not found. No device is detected on the gameport". However, the game (Shadow Warrior) by itself will detect it as a flight stick if I run the game's setup program and configure a flight stick and just run the game without the MadCatz launcher, but no buttons work.

If I add it as just "MadCatz Panther XL" in gaming options without the DOS, the MadCatz launcher then sees it and will launch the game. The game doesn't see it at all, however, regardless of whether or not I configured a joystick in the game's setup program.

I don't think it's an issue with the sound card's game port. It's a Dell OEM Sound Blaster Live Value CT4780, and I've tried all sorts of driver variants thinking the game port wasn't working at all before realizing that how I added the controller to Gaming Options made somewhat of a difference to the launcher detecting the controller. Based on some other sound card related posts I've come across, I made sure the drivers I'm using are using the VXD files.

Reply 1 of 1, by Mezmaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, nevermind, I figured it out. You have to configure the controller in SW's setup program as "Keyboard and External", and then specify the 'alaunch.exe' executable.

It works, but seems very awkward using this setup for a FPS. Maybe if it let you reverse the vertical axis of the trackball, it would feel a little better.

I would still be interested in hearing other people's experiences using this controller. Does anyone know how to add other games to the launcher?