VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Dell Latitude C600 system that started overheating heavily a couple of days ago. The day it first happened, I realized that the CPU fan wasn't running- no problem. I'd just take it apart and see what was wrong. The fan wouldn't spin up, at all, so I'm going to buy a new fan.

While I was trying to figure with the fan, I removed the heatsink to the Pentium III to try and work on the fan, and get it running (you couldn't get at the fan without removing the heatsink). During this time, the system was booted twice to see if the fan would spin, the first time for 6 or 7 seconds max, and the second time for a much shorter amount of time, because I realized I had been turning on the system with the heatsink removed.

I put the heatsink back on, attached the display to the unit, and it POSTed into BIOS just fine. My question is not pertaining as to whether or not I destroyed the CPU as much as it is a question of possible damage that could've been done to the CPU. In this case, it's not the worst thing ever, as I could just purchase a replacement (the processor is socketed), but I'm still worried that I somehow damaged it when booting the system without a heatsink mounted. I was too embarrassed to post about this and confirm or deny my suspicions, simply because it was such a stupid, stupid thing that I did to forget that the heatsink wasn't on the CPU while I was working right beside it.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 11, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its a socket 370? From what I remember about those cpus they had protection systems and throttling so if it overheats it slows down then shuts down.

8 seconds is not too long and not overclocked, you would see some smoke and smell it if it burned.

If it boots into the bios I think you are quiet safe.

I do remember videos of people overclocking amd chips like Athlon? then taking off the heatsink then smoke would come as they didn't have internal shut down protection

Reply 2 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Odds are it should be fine. The mobile chips have better heat tolerance than their desktop counter parts. Did you happen to feel if the cup was warm?

Reply 3 of 11, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote:

Odds are it should be fine. The mobile chips have better heat tolerance than their desktop counter parts. Did you happen to feel if the cup was warm?

If you mean the green PCB around the die, I did. It felt cool to the touch. I'm just a fairly paranoid guy, so I worry that it'll randomly die later- which really makes no sense. A lot of times, the worries I have about "killing," components come from me doing things that, if I truly failed or messed up, would result in instantaneous component death, and it would not work at all. If it works, it's fine, and if it doesn't, it's dead, that sort of thing. Even so, I still get that feeling that it'll die later on, maybe a few days ahead into the future, etc., which I know is irrational, but I still often have to get a second opinion on it to double-check. Anyways, thanks for helping me out on that one. I know it was the sort of thing that I could've searched up, but I've become more reliant on VOGONS for things like this, for better or for worse. I feel far more comfortable with the answers I get on here these days than answers I would've been more comfortable with in other places before I joined here.

Where am I?

Reply 4 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
treeman wrote:

its a socket 370? From what I remember about those cpus they had protection systems and throttling so if it overheats it slows down then shuts down.

nope they dont, that came much later in Pentium 4

athlon-power wrote:

I'm still worried that I somehow damaged it when booting the system without a heatsink mounted. I was too embarrassed to post about this and confirm or deny my suspicions, simply because it was such a stupid, stupid thing that I did to forget that the heatsink wasn't on the CPU while I was working right beside it.

wait, so was it 8 seconds, or did you "boot the system" (as in load windows etc)?
regardless no point worrying about things you have no longer control over 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just read the Intel Pentium 3 active thermal management techniques pdf and the pentium 3 does throttle itself if the temperature goes out of range. It was a very interesting read.

Reply 6 of 11, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had to post a screen shot of the section cause the pdf won't let you copy and paste.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 11, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote:

I had to post a screen shot of the section cause the pdf won't let you copy and paste.

Yes, this is not a feature of the CPU. Read second page carefully, it describes external microcontroller monitoring temperature and trying to tame it by halting cpu temporarily. This is a rough idea of a device ODM might incorporate in their motherboards, not something inherent to Pentium 3.

EDIT: btw to bypass ridiculousl pdf DRM just click print in chrome based browsers - you will be able to copy from Print Preview as long as original pdf was text based (some really stupid ones are a picture of a text for that extra "fuck you" points)

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2019-04-16, 02:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 11, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote:

wait, so was it 8 seconds, or did you "boot the system" (as in load windows etc)?
regardless no point worrying about things you have no longer control over 😀

The HDD had been taken out of the laptop, I was just trying to test if the fan would spin up at all, which it never did. The most I could have had it on is for roughly eight seconds while I waited to see if the fan would spin up (that's at the most- it was probably a fair bit less time than that). The fan doesn't even spin up when the heatsink is on, so I'm going to assume that thing died on me. I've had that laptop for a little over two years now, so that fan lasted me a good while, that's not to mention how long it ran during its prior life as a school laptop of some kind.

Good thing that the replacement fans for these these things are cheap as hell. I got one for US$7.00, but if I wanted to, I would've been able to get one for US$5.00, just from overseas, and as a result, with a much larger shipping time. Both had free shipping, but I decided to pay the US$2.00 extra to get this thing up and running fairly quick. These don't seem to be cheap reproductions, either- they're the real deal, either taken out of warehouses where they had been left over, or from salvaged laptops of a similar model to mine.

chrismeyer6 wrote:

Good catch. From what I read the chipset in his laptop does support the feature so odds are it's fine.

...and this is exactly why I always try my best to list the specific model number and type of thing that I'm trying to figure out stuff with. For some reason, seeing this mentioned this way makes me very happy.

Where am I?

Reply 10 of 11, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK a Pentium 3 has some form of simple thermal shutdown should the fresh coprolite hit the atmosphere agitator.
However its not something I would trust my increasingly rare chips on, expecially not the faster ones.

THG made a famous clip with a few Intel and AMD CPU's that shows the Intels surviving but the AMD's frying themselves (and the motherboards) in seconds, no doubt Intel pointed this out for them =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXRHexGIok