VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. I am thinking about starting a new project. I want to build a socket 370 system. I imagine a system that has very little dimensions. So I would like to go with an mATX Mainboard. It should have ISA as well as AGP. On eBay there are several. But I don't know what would be the best choice. I already have a tualatin 1,4ghz here and a far goal is to get a voodoo 5.

Last edited by Lazar81 on 2019-04-18, 08:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 2 of 29, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6VIA5T is a great board indeed, I have couple that I have got good use out of ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 29, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already googled for that board. Looks like it is not available at the moment, is it? I can't find it in eBay or elsewhere.

I only saw a Chaintech 6LIA0. But this one has an Intel Chipset. If I understand correctly, this Chipset limits the amount of installable RAM to 256mb?

Edit: I was wondering if a socket A Mainboard could be a better choice. But when doing some research, it seems also to be hard thing to find a good combination of chipset, Isa and agp slot. mATX doesn't exist in that combination.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 4 of 29, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just changed the title because I thought about keeping an open mind for what I want to build.
I think matx wouldn't be the best. But maybe I am wrong - I will go on looking for a good one.
I read a bit about 370 and 462 and am not sure what would be the better one. But will go on reading. So if someone has experience with both platforms and can tell about...
I only know the important things for me are the board must have agp and Isa. CPU speed should be around 1-1,5ghz.

Reply 6 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want to go Socket 462 Gigabyte GA-7VX is a mATX board with ISA.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 29, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're also looking at socket 462, there are a couple KT133A based models that come with (usually a single) ISA port and even support the Athlon XP family, including the Thoroughbred-B. Personally I don't think the regular Athlon or Palomino-based Athlon XP are worth using over the Tualatin, due to high power consumption. But a 1700+ T-bred B would be my ideal pick:
- it offers the best performance, better than both Tualatin-based Pentium 3 or Thunderbird-based Athlon
- isn't missing any instruction set support, since it supports MMX, 3DNow! and SSE
- power consumption is not as out of control as on Thunderbird or Palomino based Athlons. Still higher than Tualatin, but it also offers correspondingly higher performance
- the CPU itself is dirt cheap to find, unlike the higher clocked Tualatins. Motherboards that support one or the other should cost about the same though

A couple KT133A motherboards that support it (sometimes not all revisions) include Abit KT7A, Soltek SL-75 KAV and DFI AK75-EC. All are regular ATX size though; not sure if there are any models that are mATX and have both an ISA slot and support the Athlon XP CPUs.

Reply 8 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

power consumption is not as out of control as on Thunderbird or Palomino based Athlons. Still higher than Tualatin, but it also offers correspondingly higher performance

XP 1700+ Thoroughbred-B can work at 1.2-1.4v (depends on silicon lottery) at stock clock which dramatically reduces power consumption and heat.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 29, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

XP 1700+ Thoroughbred-B can work at 1.2-1.4v (depends on silicon lottery) at stock clock which dramatically reduces power consumption and heat.

My experience is that reducing a 130nm Athlon XP's clock and voltage to Tualatin levels its power consumption gets similar too. I've tried it with a Barton but I can't see why a T'bred would be vastly different.

(Also I accidentally experienced that even a [maybe good] Palomino can run around 1.2V at sufficiently low clock rates.)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 10 of 29, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, I hadn't realised XP chips could undervolt so well. That certainly makes them even more attractive.

Does anyone know if Bartons can run on KT133A motherboards that support T-breds? I realise they're not officially supported, since they normally run at 333/400 MHz FSB while motherboards only officially support 266 MHz, but could they still work at the lower FSB speeds? I figure they probably should, since as far as I can tell the only real difference between the two is more L2 cache and higher FSB speeds. Barton 2500+ even has the same 11x multiplier as 1700+ T-bred, so at 133 FSB they'd both run at the same 1466 MHz core speed.

Reply 11 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
frudi wrote:

Interesting, I hadn't realised XP chips could undervolt so well. That certainly makes them even more attractive.

Does anyone know if Bartons can run on KT133A motherboards that support T-breds? I realise they're not officially supported, since they normally run at 333/400 MHz FSB while motherboards only officially support 266 MHz, but could they still work at the lower FSB speeds? I figure they probably should, since as far as I can tell the only real difference between the two is more L2 cache and higher FSB speeds. Barton 2500+ even has the same 11x multiplier as 1700+ T-bred, so at 133 FSB they'd both run at the same 1466 MHz core speed.

There is no reason why they wouldn't work at 266MHz FSB, although there is probably no microcode to identify the CPU correctly.

Reply 12 of 29, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It POSTs as "unknown CPU" but works fine otherwise. I can't tell if there's any problem with SSE, though. But it should be initialized by the OS anyway so BIOS support is not that important.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 13 of 29, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So ... I found a board with Apollo pro 133A chipset. I could also get a 1ghz coppermine CPU for that one. If I get it right, this CPU is compatible with this Board. At the moment it is hard to decide if it's worth it. But it would have agpx4, isa and it would be mATX. Also it supports (not sure) 1 or 2 gigs of RAM.
Can someone give me hint if I should go with this or be patient and waiting for a better one.
Almost forgot... It is the msi ms-6154 (I know it is an oem board)

Reply 14 of 29, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did another research yesterday and found this: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/MS-6154VA.html. Don't know if the information given there is reliable. But if so, the Coppermine CPU SL5QV with 1Ghz is supported. In the MS-6154 Manual only speeds up to 800 MHz are listed. Does someone know wether 1ghz is supported or not?

Reply 15 of 29, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it supports coppermine 133mhz voltage and fsb-wise then it theoretically supports them all as they are multiplier locked.

Reply 18 of 29, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

So ... I found a board with Apollo pro 133A chipset. I could also get a 1ghz coppermine CPU for that one. If I get it right, this CPU is compatible with this Board. At the moment it is hard to decide if it's worth it. But it would have agpx4, isa and it would be mATX. Also it supports (not sure) 1 or 2 gigs of RAM.
Can someone give me hint if I should go with this or be patient and waiting for a better one.
Almost forgot... It is the msi ms-6154 (I know it is an oem board)

The manual page that you posted reads: Chipset VIA VT82C693A
This is not the Apollo Pro 133A chipset but the Apollo Pro 133 (without A).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VIA_chipsets

The Apollo Pro 133 (without A) has several setbacks: 10% a 20% slower than Apollo Pro 133A and does not recognize 512Mb RAM sticks
If you want the fastest Apollo Pro 133A you need the northbridge chip with a number that ends with 694.

Reply 19 of 29, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx for information. I hope it won't be that disappointing. I will wait for delivery and when everything is assembled I will tell what I think about it. But will also have open eyes for a better one