VOGONS

First post, by Alejandro Lieber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a PC-CHIPS M-912 motherboard ( AMD 486DX4) that cannot memorize years after 2000.

From 2000 to 2005 I used a small program ( ???.com) added to the autoexec.bat file that automatically corrected the year date until the computer was switched off.

I remember I had to change the year to the program every new year.

Does someone remember the name of that program or a similar one ?

The command-line interface is a vestige of an era of macho computing.
Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina

Reply 1 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two of these boards, but I don't remember such issue. What's your bios ? Ami or award ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's all I got, unfortunately.

Edit: Found some more utilities.

Attachments

• Filename
    2000.zip
    File size
    16.52 KiB
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    Y2000_Test_Fix _Tools.zip
    File size
    1.54 MiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 9, by Alejandro Lieber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Jo22. I'll try them.

Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina

Reply 4 of 9, by Alejandro Lieber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22: the programs you posted are for diagnostics and one for correction for the Phoenix Bios.
Unfortunately I have Award Bios.

Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina

Reply 5 of 9, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this:

http://www.daqarta.com/y2kure.htm

(If your machine has an internet connection, I recommend using the SNTP client from MTCP to sync time from the Internet. I have it in my AUTOEXEC.BAT so even though my 486 does have a non Y2K compliant BIOS, my system time is never wrong.)

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alejandro Lieber wrote:

Jo22: the programs you posted are for diagnostics and one for correction for the Phoenix Bios.
Unfortunately I have Award Bios.

Sorry, didn't know they were manufactuerer-dependend. 😅
Thought they were merely provided by one of these big companies..

einr wrote:

Try this:

http://www.daqarta.com/y2kure.htm

(If your machine has an internet connection, I recommend using the SNTP client from MTCP to sync time from the Internet. I have it in my AUTOEXEC.BAT so even though my 486 does have a non Y2K compliant BIOS, my system time is never wrong.)

Cool. 😎 The underlaying idea reminds me of a time when I got a radio-controlled clock for the PC, long before that ubiquitous internet-dependency was a thing
(when people were still willing to be free and independant). That clock thing looked like a little beige pyramid and connected via V.24 port to the PC.
It essentially was a little radio receiver for the DCF-77 time signal. Unfortunately, I gave up on that idea at some point, because the driver software caused timing issues at some point.
Edit: Just re-read that posting and I think the wording wasn't the best. 😊 Just in case it wasn't clear, I did not mean to offend you, einr.
What I wrote was just a general statement. Time servers (any network type) or time signals were an interesting way to sync machinery.
This method also worked on RTC-less PC/XT machines, which made life easier. Simple LAN software (non-TCPIP) also had time servers sometimes.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-04-21, 14:00. Edited 1 time in total.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by Alejandro Lieber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just found the program in Simtelnet.
It was: Y2KCOR.EXE
At the beginning of autoexec.bat just add:
y2kcor.exe 2019
Thanks for all your help.

Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina

Reply 8 of 9, by Alejandro Lieber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22:
I've seen your videos about RTTY.
In the 1980, I wrote a program in assembler for the TRS-80 's Model I Z-80 processor to decode 45 and 50 bauds RTTY by just using the casette audio input from a SSB ham receiver.

I also wrote several RTTY receiving programs for the TRS-80 Model I and III in BASIC using the RS-232 input:

http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/tty/rtty-jo … PDF/VO30NO9.PDF
http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/tty/rtty-jo … PDF/VO32NO4.PDF
http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/tty/rtty-jo … PDF/VO31NO9.PDF

Alejandro Lieber
Rosario Argentina

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Alejandro, thanks for the feedback! ^^

- Just made a backup of that Y2K software, too!
I'm downloading the magazines right now, so I've got something to browse this evening!
(I also like that RTTY art, btw.)

Also thanks for visiting my little channel (it's a side hobby, a bit like a video diary of my current projects).
What you wrote about RTTY is very interesting to me!
It wasn' the TRS-80, but also a Z-80 computer that I grew up with, so I share this fascination.

(For some reason other Hams were seemingly heavily addicted to Apple II and C64 mainly, which confuses me.
After reading their postings, it's as if no other platforms ever existed. I barely find articles online about..
ZX-81, Colour Genie, Sharp MZ-80/700/800, TRS-80, CoCo, IMSAI 8080, Vtech Laser, TI99, Thomson To-7, etc.
To be fair, at least one of the HAM programs on C64 platform took my interest. Quick Brown Fox (QBF) was well made, apparently)

I started working RTTY quite late, after having had my first steps in Packet Radio (1k2 AFSK) on CB radio ( I was an SWL only then).
Back then I used a cheap mobile (car) radio by Team (?) which could do AM/FM and 40 channels.
On the PC side, I had a 386DX with a PC-COM modem (like BayCom) and the XPACKET software.
Everyhting ran on DOS, along with the TFPCX TSR program (a port of The Firmware for PCs).
In that time frame, I connected from digipeater to digipeater across my country on channel 24.

RTTY on the other hand, was something I was not able to do at the time.
My father, however, often told me stories about his time when worked RTTY on his
old station with Sharp MZ-80K computer, FT-277 and FT-221R transceivers.

He often received some signals from Melibokus (?) RTTY relay with his Sharp.
We still have some of the news of these blind transmissions (right term for this in English ?) on endless paper.

I must have been age 6 or 7 when he told me about RTTY (CW was beyond my abilities,
except for that kind of Morse you would read in old Mickey Mouse Magazines. Giving signals with a torch light and so on.)
From what I remember, he said the Sharp's program used the tape interface for decoding and Mark/Space.
We still have got that program as a listing, but the Compiler is lost for now ("FORM" Tiny Fortran).

My first steps on RTTY were with a direct conversion receiver made by MFJ..
It had a shiny metal plate and I bought it used by a private person that lived in a high-rise flat (must have been a HAM or SWL).
This thing worked, but was very unstable. Lot's of drifting. With a DOS PC and Sound Blaster, I got it working first time, but a filter converter would have ben nice.
When I tried again with MixW2, it worked better later on. To my surprise, however, these old RTTY decoders and 741 modems do work better than expected!
Often, as I found out, they could decode stuff better than nowadays hi-tec software. Especially that JV-Fax software can decode FAX/SSTV signals better than my modern software.
I wonder why. Mabye it's the better coding or the fact that these homebrew modems had better filtering/frequency response that nowadays cheap soundcards.

Edit: I've found an old schematic for a DIY RTTY scope, for displaying the RTTY cross/crossed bananas.
I was thinking about building one someday. What do you think ? 😀

Attachments

• rttyscop.gif
    Filename
    rttyscop.gif
    File size
    198.27 KiB
    Views
    File license

//My video channel//