VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought this card a while ago on ebay (CGA - III / P)

5GmN3f4l.jpg?1

It kind of fitted in my turbo XT case, but since I moved the motherboard into an AT case it's a much tighter fit. Of all the ISA cards I've encountered, this one definitely seems to be non-standard: the part of the pcb with the bracket seems to be too long, and the pins don't align properly with the ISA connector on the motherboard (they're actually off by one pin). I had to remove a screw from one of the 2 motherboard spacers, and try to push the mobo as far back as possible from the case slots. Now it fits but it's really tight and I don't like the amount of flexing on the motherboard (see picture).

zIRVcS8l.jpg?1

Have any of you ever had to deal with such cards and if yes, did you manage to mod them?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cheapo stuff was and is always good for surprises.
Don't worry about that little bit of flexing, as there are no flexing-sensitive BGA.

Reply 3 of 12, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well sometimes bent motherboards can be bad news. It might cause damage to some crucial features, such as chips. I guess that's why motherboard manuals tell you not to screw it in too tight.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 4 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these (VIP CGA-III/P) and can confirm the OP's problem. I tried it in two different AT systems, and it won't fit inside either case. I had to remove one of the motherboards entirely from the case in order to get the card in so I could test it. (Working OK with an IBM 5163 monitor.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Welcome to the wild-west of loosely standard vintage PC hardware. I have motherboards the ISA slots of which, regardless of what case I mount them in, do not line up perfectly with the expansion ports. Shit happens. Don't brute force it in, but if you are gentle but persistent enough it will ease in, however awkward it might get. Kind of like sex.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 12, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you inspect the ISA slot closely, you'll see that it is actually not soldered correctly. It's not an issue with the card. On the left, the distance between the slot connector and the motherboard is wider than towards the middle. On the right, it gets wider again. I've encountered this with many mainboards. Often, you fully insert a card but the top of the bracket is still floating in the air, or as with your case, vice-versa.

Reply 7 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try remove all screws from the bracket and leave only one at the top not fully screwed: then insert the card in the slot , make sure it sits OK and then tighten that lose screw on the bracket. Chances are it will fit OK with the extra wiggle the bracket will now have...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The ports are soldered - the bracket is screwed on the ports 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have filed off a little bit of the rearmost edge that goes in the slot to reduce the stress. But I first just loosen motherboard screws while cards are in, wiggle stuff into the best possible alighnment and tighten the screws again.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 11 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AT motherboard/case fitment is just a hot mess generally

especially in the critical dimensions of "slot to board edge" and "board edge to case rear"

Reply 12 of 12, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right, I got the bracket off, and comparing this card to another similar-sized one, the problem is immediately apparent: the PCB is too long

It's only a difference of 2 or 3 mm but that's enough to cause a problem.

Attachments

• DSC_0141_crop.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0141_crop.JPG
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC_0007 (2)_crop.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0007 (2)_crop.JPG