VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An issue most Socket 7 chipsets is that they can't cache more than 64MB RAM and unless you allocate the rest as RAMDISK this actually hinders performance in most cases. This is a known and established case.

This has led me to chase Super 7 motherboards and K6-2+/K6-III+ CPUs like unicorns for the longest time, and now that I actually have a MVP4 motherboard, I find myself wondering if it is actually worth the hassle to upgrade from a decent TX motherboard to an average MVP4 motherboard for more system RAM.

My personal experience is that in summer 1998 I upgraded straight from a lowly non-MMX pentium to a Pentium II 300 and even with that vastly superior CPU (yes, it was vastly superior to K6-2 at the time, costs aside) the 64MB RAM in my system never felt like a liability until I upgraded to 128Mb in summer 2000 as part of a move to Coppermine P3.

Another memory I have is that in 1999, one of my 32MB sticks died, and for whatever reason (some kind of chip availability issue, probably due to some Asia financial crisis or flooding or whatever at the time?) RAM was EXPENSIVE, so I had to do with 32MB for almost a month before I could replace it - and to my amazement pretty much all my games continued to run just fine with my Voodoo3 3000.

What I would like to know is - how beneficial do you think over 64MB memory is for these systems, especially if your performance targets are <2000 games? Another way to ask would probably be, what year was it when 64MB RAM became a liability? Do you know of any benchmarks from back in the day of 64MB vs 128MB etc?

Last edited by appiah4 on 2019-04-19, 09:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends, 430HX maximum cacheable memory size is 512MB, with 512KB of PB L2 cache. I would say Intel 430HX is the best Socket 7 chipsets up to Pentium MMX. Only 430FX/VX/TX support up to 64MB cacheable memory size.

I believe the later VIA MVP3 and ALi Aladdin V Super 7 chipsets are somewhat equivalent to Intel 430HX in quality, and they support AMD K6-2+ and K6-3 which have CPU L2 cache and MTRR support for write-combined memory. So the impact of chipset cacheability memory size no longer matters for AMD CPUs that have L2 cache.

Reply 2 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

64Mb cacheable range wasn't a problem back in the middle and late 1990's. Most people had 64Mb or less.

DOS couldn't use more than 64Mb anyway. Windows 95 was just fine with 64Mb. Windows 98 with that bloated explorer was more memory hungry, but still very usable with 64Mb.

Those people who needed more than 64Mb had other options. Like I had a Pentium Pro with 320Mb. Some 430NX/430HX systems with extended tag RAMs could cache up to 512Mb, though most did just 64Mb like the others. There were also many VIA based Socket 7 mainboards with 1Mb cache which had 128Mb range.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 3 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought MVP3 boards can cache 128MB RAM? Any that can cache more?

If you have a K6-2+/III+ CPU with on-die L2 cache, doesn't the motherboard cache become meaningless?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many say EDO and SDRAM run about the same speed on s7 but in reality
Speeds beyond 66mhz + SDRAM and more than 64mb make things run a little better than edo since you need to pipe straight off the uncashed ram

Reply 6 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even when the rest isn't cacheable it still beats HDD grinding the swapfile as far as Windows use is concerned, from my experience overall performance is still higher than 64MB and less.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I thought MVP3 boards can cache 128MB RAM? Any that can cache more?

256Mb with 2Mb cache. There were not so many boards with so much cache. Another option was ALI Aladdin V rev.G or later which had internal tag RAM working, so it could cache 512Mb with just 512Kb cache.

dr_st wrote:

If you have a K6-2+/III+ CPU with on-die L2 cache, doesn't the motherboard cache become meaningless?

It still helps especially if it's large.

Reply 8 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote:

Many say EDO and SDRAM run about the same speed on s7 but in reality
Speeds beyond 66mhz + SDRAM and more than 64mb make things run a little better than edo since you need to pipe straight off the uncashed ram

EDO wasn't supposed to run at 100MHz. 75MHz was fine, 83MHz with 50ns chips was also fine, but 100MHz was out of luck usually. Sure there were high speed EDO chips for Voodoo2 and so on, but these didn't make a way to SIMMs.

Reply 9 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My only point is uncached clk2 sdram is indeed faster than uncached edo

This means it has an advantage on motherboards unable to cache more than 64mb

And I have used 70ns FP Simms on a fake pc100 SIS motherboard running at 90mhz FSB back on “the day”
All that happened was terrible memory timings but the cache was at least full speed

At the time the crappy onboard video was more of a bottleneck than the ram but benchmarks would drop off on larger memory reads.

Reply 10 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're building a K6+ system, why does it even matter what the chipset can cache? The CPU on chip L2 will cache everything. Turn off the motherboard L3 cache and be done with it. I think running a K6+ makes the TX chipset a little more attractive, unless you need 512MB of RAM on the HX. The TX can handle 256MB, which is still a lot.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium