VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been wanting to do more and more on DOS systems, and one of the things is music creation.
The system I'll be using will most likely be a 486 DX2/66, and probably with a Soundblaster Awe32.

Do I need/want an MT-32? I've seen several videos and reviews (LGR and 8-Bit Guy, for example) of the MT-32, and the music for games etc is much better than stock adlib or soundblaster. Reading up on the Awe32, however, I got the impression it's capable of generating music quality on a par with an MT-32. Also, if I do get an MT-32, will I need an MPU401 to use it with the Awe32?

I have an old casio LK-220 keyboard, but A) it's huge B) I can't conveniently locate it near the dos computer(s), C) it's USB.

I suppose I can get a USb -> Midi adapter, though I don't know if it would work in that direction (MT-32 midi to usb keyboard).
I'm also currently lusting after a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 Midi keyboard.
I know I could connect this to my modern computer, but, again, I'd like to do creative work with my DOS computers... so, with a USB <-> MIDI <-> gameport adapters, would it even function with vintage DOS audio composition software?

Has anyone else set up to use their DOS machine(s) for music creation? If so, what are you using, what pitfalls did you encounter?

Reply 1 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hamby wrote:

Also, if I do get an MT-32, will I need an MPU401 to use it with the Awe32??

Good question, not sure if I can give you an answer to this.
I only know that some SB32's had both the EMU8000 and the hardware-based MPU of a SB16 (SB-MIDI and MPU-401).
If you like, you can give SoftMPU a try ans see if it works with your AWE.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 11, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

I've been wanting to do more and more on DOS systems, and one of the things is music creation.
The system I'll be using will most likely be a 486 DX2/66, and probably with a Soundblaster Awe32.

Do I need/want an MT-32? I've seen several videos and reviews (LGR and 8-Bit Guy, for example) of the MT-32, and the music for games etc is much better than stock adlib or soundblaster. Reading up on the Awe32, however, I got the impression it's capable of generating music quality on a par with an MT-32. Also, if I do get an MT-32, will I need an MPU401 to use it with the Awe32?

MT-32 is great and sounds way better than AWE32 with stock soundfonts, but keep in mind it's not General Midi compatible and it's a problem if you think about making midi music. Also it's pricey. So something like SoundCanvas SC-50 or SC-55 would be better IMO.

Hamby wrote:

I have an old casio LK-220 keyboard, but A) it's huge B) I can't conveniently locate it near the dos computer(s), C) it's USB.

I suppose I can get a USb -> Midi adapter, though I don't know if it would work in that direction (MT-32 midi to usb keyboard).

If you have USB-midi equipped keyboard you would need USB host midi converter to hook it up to MT-32. But then - you would have no need for PC at all.

Hamby wrote:

I'm also currently lusting after a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 Midi keyboard.
I know I could connect this to my modern computer, but, again, I'd like to do creative work with my DOS computers... so, with a USB <-> MIDI <-> gameport adapters, would it even function with vintage DOS audio composition software?

Yes, no problems here. With USB-host to midi converter you can.
Google "Kenton Midi USB host" or "Miditech USB midi host" and watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnV3e2B6Yoo
And of course you will need proper DIN5 to gameport midi cable too.

Hamby wrote:

Has anyone else set up to use their DOS machine(s) for music creation? If so, what are you using, what pitfalls did you encounter?

Not in actual DAW / sequencer role.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 11, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MT-32 is great and sounds way better than AWE32 with stock soundfonts, but keep in mind it's not General Midi compatible and it's a problem if you think about making midi music. Also it's pricey. So something like SoundCanvas SC-50 or SC-55 would be better IMO.

Would an SC-55 sound the same, have the same capability, and especially the same compatibility with DOS games?
Even though the MT-32 looks better, there are more SC-55s available on Ebay, and they're significantly cheaper, generally speaking.

Reply 4 of 11, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are also an old program called Fast Tracker for dos. You can use both a Sound Blaster or a GUS for it. Even a Covox can be used.

EDIT:
http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=13350
I think the game "Frozen Bubbles" have its music created in a tracker.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 11, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

Would an SC-55 sound the same, have the same capability, and especially the same compatibility with DOS games?
Even though the MT-32 looks better, there are more SC-55s available on Ebay, and they're significantly cheaper, generally speaking.

SC-55 is supposed to be reverse compatible with MT-32 BUT... this compatiblitiy mode was never meant for games - rather for home musicians who replaced MT-32 with SC-55. When it comes to games even 'old' and 'new' MT-32 are not 100% compatible with each other and some games sound OK on the old one while glitching on the new one and vice versa. Same with SC-55 which has MT-32 sound banks but actually no longer uses linear synthesis so games that took advantage of linear synthesis capabilities will sound different than on MT-32... So… for music creation - it doesn't really matter and SC-55 will be (in my opinion) way more versatile choice. But if you want to play MT-32 games… then MT-32 is better solution. But if you already have some midi instruments and you are looking for adding something new to your setup - SC-50/55 sounds are good yet pretty 'generic' while MT-32 has very distinct 80s sounds (almost as good as Roland D-50)… Have you already played around with MUNT? If not - do it and decide for yourself...

You can read more about it here for example: Roland MT-32 or SC-55?

As for the MODule trackers - well… they are all sample based… and I didn't seen one supporting MIDI in DOS...

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 6 of 11, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, if I decided to forego the MT-32 / SC-55 route, and just get a vintage (small) keyboard from the 80s/90s for music composition under DOS, can anyone recommend midi keyboards I should look for?

Reply 7 of 11, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

Okay, if I decided to forego the MT-32 / SC-55 route, and just get a vintage (small) keyboard from the 80s/90s for music composition under DOS, can anyone recommend midi keyboards I should look for?

Use a DOS-based sequencer like Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, alongside a DOS-based MIDI interface to create music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_p4IgBD5oE&app=desktop
And choose whatever MIDI instrument you like - a keyboard or module with MIDI inputs will suffice. This can be old or new. And any modern recording gear to capture and record the music for posterity in high quality.

Reply 8 of 11, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
j^aws wrote:
Use a DOS-based sequencer like Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, alongside a DOS-based MIDI interface to create music: https://www.yo […]
Show full quote
Hamby wrote:

Use a DOS-based sequencer like Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold, alongside a DOS-based MIDI interface to create music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_p4IgBD5oE&app=desktop
And choose whatever MIDI instrument you like - a keyboard or module with MIDI inputs will suffice. This can be old or new. And any modern recording gear to capture and record the music for posterity in high quality.

So I could get myself that Komplete Kontrol M32 modern keyboard and use it with Voyetra on a DOS/WFW 3.11 system...

I came across 2 vintage possibilities on ebay (I guess I can't link ebay listings...)
Midisoft MK-4902 MIDI Music Keyboard; even comes with a joystick port to midi cable and manuals. Really tempting, but a bit big for what I want:
Quickshot MidiComposer. But it's a lot too big.
https://sonicstate.com/synth/quickshot_midicomposer/

Or, if I understand you correctly, I could just get the Akai LPK25 mini midi keyboard I was looking at (and appropriate midi cables and interface/host), or the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 Controller Keyboard ( https://www.native-instruments.com/en/product … te-kontrol-m32/ ) that I'm actually lusting over right now, again with appropriate cabling/host/interface adapters.

Thanks for all the feedback. It's giving me some considering to do.

Reply 9 of 11, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

** When I say 'keyboard or module', I'm referring to devices that generate sound. You can get dumb MIDI keyboard controllers that send MIDI signals via MIDI Out, but they don't generate any sound themselves. A sequencer like Voyetra Gold also sends MIDI signals via MIDI Out.

You need MIDI instruments with MIDI In and capable of generating sounds - not just a dumb keyboard controller, so that they can convert signals sent from sequencers or MIDI keyboard controllers via MIDI Out.

If you are looking at software synths like Kontact, then the host PC with a MIDI interface can act like a standalone MIDI sound module. Sending MIDI signals to this host PC from a keyboard controller or sequencer like Voyetra Gold isn't really any different than sending to a hardware sound module or sound generating keyboard.

Reply 10 of 11, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The advantage of using a Win 3.x or Win 9x-based sequencer is that you can make Windows output the MIDI information to your computer's internal sound card via the appropriate driver.

Reply 11 of 11, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

But if you already have some midi instruments and you are looking for adding something new to your setup - SC-50/55 sounds are good yet pretty 'generic' while MT-32 has very distinct 80s sounds (almost as good as Roland D-50)… Have you already played around with MUNT? If not - do it and decide for yourself...

You can read more about it here for example: Roland MT-32 or SC-55?

As for the MODule trackers - well… they are all sample based… and I didn't seen one supporting MIDI in DOS...

I downloaded Munt, but of course I don't have the needed ROMs... btw, I just bought an MT-32 on ebay, hopefully it'll arrive next week and work.
I suppose there's a way to get the ROMs from it, I dunno. If not... I don't know what good Munt is?