VOGONS

First post, by T3LF0Rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

Long term lurker, finally came across a question i couldnt readily find an answer for so would appreciate anyones help with this one!

I have an old Aptiva 2134, and I am in the process of upgrading the old socket 7 board to the "A-2" version which also has a usb port (Model 12H2001). This board is also a socket 7 with the difference that it has a modular VRM connector for the CPU.

I was wondering if it is a requirement on these old socket 7 to have to use a VRM module in order for it to Post? (I currently cannot get it to post at all (no beeps and black screen) and have checked grounding, removed all parts, tested cpu jumpers etc etc and the VRM seems like it might be the last possible issue it might be before declaring the board DOA 😒

Any help would greatly be appreciated. The CPU im intending to run and was working fine on the old motherboard is a P200MMX

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Boards with external VRM connector will work only with original Pentium.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by T3LF0Rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Boards with external VRM connector will work only with original Pentium.

Thanks for the reply but do i need to use an external voltage regulator for the actual board/cpu to work, or it is an optional thing with a VRM already on the board but you can "upgrade" it with an external unit if you want to?

im trying to work out if the board is dead or if i need to spend another 40-50$ to get an external VRM from ebay?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

External VRM is required for 2.8v suppport aka Pentium MMX support. Easiest way to check the board status is to use original Pentium (3.3v). But it also does have a risk to fry your CPU if the board VRM is damaged.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could measure the voltage you find in the vcc pins. If you get 3.3v, then no need for a VRM, if not, either you need one, or something is not configured properly or the board has another problem.

My PCChips m520 has a optional VRM, but if none is installed, you need to put 2 jumpers in the socket.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative