VOGONS

First post, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently found this hardware-like object in my basement, and I was just wondering what it could be.

I took some pics of it to observe this "object of mystery",
1555777502.th.43751.JPG

1555777533.th.64167.JPG

1555777564.th.12925.JPG

1555777633.th.48649.JPG

1555777669.th.55658.JPG

Right. So apparently this object is from Nikon, as it implies. I do have a bit of guesses of what this could be, based on what it looks like. The object mentioned a "fuse", which means that this thing could be some kind of portable fuse box. But it also has a knob, so it can't be what I just guessed, plus I don't think there's really a such thing as portable fuse boxes. What do you guys think this could be?

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 1 of 4, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a transformer for illuminator in Nikon microscope.

edit: https://profcontrol.de/Nikon-Transformer-UN-P … H2-Microscope_1

If it still works then you can easly use it as universal transformer (for example to power LiPo charger for RC cars/aircraft as it has a decent amperage).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 4, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote:

It's a transformer for illuminator in Nikon microscope.

edit: https://profcontrol.de/Nikon-Transformer-UN-P … H2-Microscope_1

If it still works then you can easly use it as universal transformer (for example to power LiPo charger for RC cars/aircraft as it has a decent amperage).

That explains it. It kind of looked like a microscope-like object when I came across it.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 3 of 4, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UPDATE:

Last night, my dad told me what this object is. It's actually a box that controls a light bulb. You connect a light bulb to a circuit that connects to this box, and you twist the knob to adjust the light's brightness and dimness. No actual name has been specified for this object, but at least now I know what it's used for.

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 4 of 4, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JonathonWyble wrote:

UPDATE:

Last night, my dad told me what this object is. It's actually a box that controls a light bulb. You connect a light bulb to a circuit that connects to this box, and you twist the knob to adjust the light's brightness and dimness. No actual name has been specified for this object, but at least now I know what it's used for.

Well that was pretty obvious, wasn't it? It's a transformer with voltage control originally used to power an iluminator after all…

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg