VOGONS

First post, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Intel PD440FX without a slot 1 retention bracket but with the threaded brass studs that come up from under the board and which are used for mounting a retention bracket. I purchased some of those folding slot1 retention brackets on ebay but realized after getting them that they attach differently and have a plastic post which pushes through the motherboard and anchors down. But in order to do this, I first have to free up the holes in the motherboard to install them. I tried just pushing them through (maybe not too hard) according to the instructions on this page I found, but had no luck--they don't budge. Does anyone have any experience doing this? How hard should I push? Could they be glued down? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If retention bracket holding screws are identical to the last photo of those instructions, then you can just push them out. They get "stuck" once you tighten screws hard enough on bracket itself. If you plan to preserve them, use soft tools to push them out, made from wood or plastic, also use corrugated cardboard underneath MB so that it would sit on a stable surface and scews would have just enough room to move.

Reply 2 of 7, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, thanks SSTV2. I tried what you said using some corrugated cardboard, but all I hear when I bear down on the brass studs are the little creeks of the motherboard doing things it doesn't want to do. I really think these are fastened to the mobo in some permanent way--perhaps with an adhesive. In any case, I think I will just modify the cheap retention brackets I bought by drilling out the plastic posts and then just using the brass studs (I failed to remove) along with a nut on top of the brackets to install them that way. A bit hacky, but it should work.

Reply 3 of 7, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once I've successfully hammered out soldered in screws out from Dell GX1 motherboard 🤣. In your case, screws are being held only by friction, unless someone has actually glued them there, check if holes are not filled with any sort of glue, if not, it's only friction.

Reply 4 of 7, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I looked very closely but do not see any obvious means of fastening other than just friction, so I think you're right. In fact, I've reconsidered my solution. Besides, I don't have any properly sized nuts anyway, and even if I did, it would be hard to get at them with a nut driver. I guess I'll just throw caution to the wind and push very hard. I'll do all I can to prevent the board from flexing--I'll use the cardboard again. I don't know about using a hammer, but at this point, I'm frustrated enough to use a lot more force.

Reply 5 of 7, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I tried again with the cardboard and just bore down with the handle end of a screwdriver and they pushed out just fine. Then I had some difficulty getting the new brackets in. And they don't sit flush against the board when the cpu is installed--it pushes them out a little and they lift off the mobo surface at a slight angle. But at least everything is installed now. Thanks again for your help.