VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a mystery USB cable I found in my drawer of such things. Wondering if one of you can identify it, so I can decide if I should hoard it or toss it out 😜

It's the size of a mini-USB connector and pretty much looks like one except for the corners. The other end is a standard USB A (probably 2.0) plug.

CameraZOOM-20190421173241046.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20190421173241046.jpg
File size
168.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I suspect it's for a digital camera or maybe handheld console, but I can't figure out what.

Things it is definitely not:

DisplayPort - looks similar, way too small
Mini DisplayPort
Apple mini-VGA or mini-DVI
Any kind of firewire
Nint*ndo DS, DS Lite, or DSi
Sony PSP (uses a standard mini-USB from what I can tell), or PS Vita (very different)

I'm stumped!

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea what it is. Perhaps it's a custom connector. The cable could have an USB-Serial chip built-in (TTL, not RS232).
Some cellphone adapter cables from the early 2000s were like that, if memory serves.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 8, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No that's not a regular USB mini, the USB mini has an indent on both sides. That looks more like a DisplayPort but too small. Because of the indent on one side but not the other. And it doesn't have an L-shaped center.

It looks more like a micro-DVI, but less pins and the micro also has indents on both sides.

chrismeyer6's guess is probably right, it's probably a proprietary camera connection. Might want to ask on the recent "post pics from old cameras" post.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 6 of 8, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Merovign wrote:

No that's not a regular USB mini, the USB mini has an indent on both sides.

Yes, but the manufacturers would purposefully leave one of the indents off so the cable would only fit in "their" port. HTC called theirs "ExtUSB" IIRC.
If the cable actually had something interesting on the other end (like a headphone jack or usb hub) it would be worth keeping, but otherwise it's identical to a usb mini cable.

Reply 7 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys!

jmarsh wrote:

HTC called theirs "ExtUSB" IIRC.

This tipped me off that the HTC Dream / Google G1 / aka the First Android Phone Ever has this port. I actually have one of those, and used it heavily until ~2014, but I don't think I ever had this style of cable for it; I always just used a mini USB one. I bought that phone used without accessories and this cable was in a sealed package, so I must have picked it up elsewhere, god-knows-when.

Guess I'll hang onto the cable in case the Dream/G1 becomes a valuable collectors item some day, or I dig it out and start using it again. 😜

Merovign wrote:

chrismeyer6's guess is probably right, it's probably a proprietary camera connection. Might want to ask on the recent "post pics from old cameras" post.

FWIW I'd already gone through all my cameras and didn't find a match, although it's entirely possible there is one that uses it; it was in my drawer of "camera stuff."

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea a lot of early smart phones used that USB interface. My HTC TyTN and TyTN II used it. (Windows Mobile 5 and 6.x phones) I believe I also had a Canon(?) point and shoot camera that used it around the same time period.
Example:
1wQFvNj.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals