VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am trying to setup TCP/IP on Win311.
I installed the "TCP32b" file package but it does not give me support for Microsoft Networks.
I only have support for Novell and Banyan vines, etc. ( Default networks ).
When I try to add additional network support I get an error message reading "there is are no networks listed in OEMsetup.inf" file.

Maybe I have a bad/modified "TCP32B" package?

I want to be able to browse my home network ( MS_Windows computers and Mycloud NAS ).

Reply 3 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trumpet Winsock is no fun to use (unreliable).

Try out PC/TCP from FTP Software. It is very good, even offers NFS access and printing via ethernet on DOS (even without loading Windows).

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://youtu.be/3CMsi-AMk7M

Edit: None of my videos, don't worry. 😉

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-04-22, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am also installing tcp32b and my win7 pc can access 3.11 shares fine, works perfect for me
I don't think though that 3.11 can browse win7 shares

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FTP Software was once a well-known company, which surprisingly nowadays very few people remember.

This is demonstrated by the incompleteness of Wikipedia's entry.
It fails to list PC/NFS, which was one of their important products back then: you could use real computers instead of PCs as file servers for DOS and Windows. There was a big difference in what a SparcServer and any Novell server could offer...

Reply 8 of 10, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always just install DOS packet drivers for my NIC (IPXODI) and then select the "existing NIC driver, IPX/ODI" option in the Win 3.11 network install settings. Then I select the Microsoft TCP/IP package in the "install protocol" settings.

Works every time.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 9 of 10, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What FTP software ?
Yes, Winstock appears to be for dial-up only.

Are you sure about that? I remember (unofficially) configuring Internet access on LAN-connected Pentium PCs back in college in 1995 or 1996. I managed to do that by installing Trumpet Winsock on them. These were college computers that did not have dial-up. I do remember the system admin installing a Microsoft TCP/IP stack on those PCs as a replacement for Winsock shortly afterwards. I guess the school didn't want to pay the registration fees for Winsock and the Microsoft stack was likely included in the Windows for Workgroups 3.11 licenses.

Reply 10 of 10, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a Novell client I can install that supports tcp/ip ?
Novell reads it’s client32 supports tcp/ip.
https://support.novell.com/techcenter/article … na19960501.html