VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone have a clue on where I could get a good AT case or old ATX case without paying 100+?

Reply 1 of 10, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best place to get cheap AT/ATX cases is electronics recycling centers. Sometimes you can come across someone who doesn't know what they're selling on local/regional/country specific forums and ad sites. Ads like - selling / giving away old PC. That's how I get most of my stuff...

Your best bet is still a recycling center - I go to a center 300km away twice a year and come back home with empty pockets and a car full of parts, computers and / or peripherals.

Reply 3 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Local seller sites (facebook, craigslist) and recyclers are just about all you can do. Far too many go to recyclers to get shredded.

Might want to check with https://www.meetup.com/North-Dallas-Area-Retro-Computing/

Here's a Reddit post from a couple years ago about that subject in Dallas: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dallas/comments/56tu … computer_parts/

Edit: Oh, and *ask* the different recyclers in the area, one or more may sell parts. They definitely never like it when people just dig around without asking.

One of the smaller ones near here said "No one ever asked before... so okay!"

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4 of 10, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try digging around on Amibay.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 10, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Merovign wrote:

Edit: Oh, and *ask* the different recyclers in the area, one or more may sell parts. They definitely never like it when people just dig around without asking.

Aren't there cameras and dire warning signs all around your e-waste recycle drop-off location? There are at mine.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
Merovign wrote:

Aren't there cameras and dire warning signs all around your e-waste recycle drop-off location? There are at mine.

Hoodie and ski mask FTW 🤣

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean... if I were a recycling center and I have the option of either paying to have the materials processed responsibly, or giving them away free (or maybe even selling them for a small sum!) -- why would they NOT let you take what you want? I could understand if there are privacy concerns, so you don't get to keep the HDD. But other than that..?

Reply 10 of 10, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

I mean... if I were a recycling center and I have the option of either paying to have the materials processed responsibly, or giving them away free (or maybe even selling them for a small sum!) -- why would they NOT let you take what you want? I could understand if there are privacy concerns, so you don't get to keep the HDD. But other than that..?

1> you are on their property, so they are responsible if something happens..
2> things get sorted there, you might make a mess..
3> ICT recyclers MAKE money, it doesn't cost them anything to process. There is gold and other precious metals in there, just need to have volume to make a nice profit..
4> More sooner than later more and more people will come and search for nice stuff to buy, it would not be safe and/or possible to do their work properly..
5> Asking never hurts, maybe you get lucky. Just be NICE and act normal.. I got lucky that way.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1