VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am in the process of changing out things on my Dell Latitude C600 after the fan died- in order to get at the fan connector, I had to remove one of the plates, which contains two thermal pads: one for the Rage 128 8MB graphics, and one for the chipset. I figured out that the thermal pad thickness for the Rage 128 is 1mm, and the chipset thermal pad's thickness is 2mm. I bought some cheapo 2mm thermal pads off of Amazon (something like 1.5w/m-k), because it was for the chipset, and it was a thin strip that only covered around ~30% of the chip's surface.

The 1mm pad that goes onto the Rage 128 is freaking me out a little, though. It's shiny- and it looks like it has metallic particles in it. My question is: Should I get a specific kind of thermal pad for this, or will any old 1mm thermal pad do? (I bought some 3.2w/m-k 1mm thermal pads for use on another laptop which used a cheapo one for the Intel integrated graphics, would using that same stuff work, or would I fry my Rage 128?)

Here is the substance in question. It's somewhat malleable, and crumbles when you pick at it any (I can't tell if that's due to its age or its properties).

IMG_20190422_202916.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190422_202916.jpg
File size
711.11 KiB
Views
File comment
The pink smear you see is from the 2mm thermal pad that went to the chipset. It's very vertical, and slim, yet the chip itself is fairly square. This is why I figured cheapo stuff wouldn't matter, as long as there was something in between the metal and the chipset itself.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Should I use one of those fancy graphite thermal pads? I measured that little square of strange stuff, and it's exactly 30mm x 30mm.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 1, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty sure the new 1mm stuff you have will work fine and it will be way better than the dried out crumbly pad that is on there now.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK