VOGONS

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an msi ms 5146 motherboard, which is AT style with an AT DIN keyboard port, and a JMS board header for the ps/2 mouse.

I bought a PS/2 bracket with 6 pins, and 5 wires, and lined it up so that the red wire goes into the first pin. When booting windows 98, I can see the laser in the mouse flicker some, but then windows complains that it can't find a mouse. I cant' get the mouse to work. I tried plugging the header in a different way and no luck either.

I went into the bios and made sure that Ps/2 function was enabled. It says that the ps/2 mouse is on IRQ 12, which is PCI/ISA pnp, as set by default in the bios. I am having a really hard time sourcing headers for this port, so I actually can't buy another one because this is the only one I have been able to find. Any ideas on how I could get this to work? I really don't want to buy a serial mouse.

My board also has a USB header, but the pinout is not standard, it has power and ground in slightly different place and no empty pin/key pin. Is there an adapter I can buy to convert it to a standard header? Could I then just use a usb mouse and keyboard?

My primary motivation for this computer is DOS via windows 98. When booting into pure DOS mode, can I make use of a USB mouse and keyboard for pure dos games? Would it be worth while to pick up a PCI USB addon card? Any thoughts on this would be very helpful.

Socket 7 MSI 5146

Filename
5146v10.zip
File size
1.05 MiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File comment
manual
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

MMX 233
Cirrus Logic 5446
Diamond Voodoo 4mb
ESS and Auzen ISA sound cards
8GB compact flash via IDE adapter
IDE optical driver

Reply 1 of 3, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

When booting windows 98, I can see the laser in the mouse flicker some, but then windows complains that it can't find a mouse.

That's good. It means that power supply is correct (+5V and GND are in their place). The only thing left is to make sure that CLK and DATA signals are also in place.
According to manual you provided, CLK and DATA are on pins 4 and 5. Try to swap those using a needle.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 3 of 3, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

When booting windows 98, I can see the laser in the mouse flicker some, but then windows complains that it can't find a mouse.

That's good. It means that power supply is correct (+5V and GND are in their place). The only thing left is to make sure that CLK and DATA signals are also in place.
According to manual you provided, CLK and DATA are on pins 4 and 5. Try to swap those using a needle.

Hm, I hadn't considered yet that the wiring on the header I got might be wrong. I can't really tell which wire goes to which pin without completely stripping the whole cable, but I guess I'll end up doing that. I really can't find any parts online for this.

dionb wrote:

As for DOS + USB: DOS doesn't natively support USB, but if the motherboard does USB Legacy it presents it as PS/2 for exactly this scenario.

Oh now that is interesting. Is it possible to find a legacy USB to PS/2 breakout cable these days? It seems like this would suite my needs perfectly.

Is it possible to use legacy USB with storage devices under windows 98? I don't have any networking equipment, so USB would be really convenient for transferring files.