Looks funny

QUq41es.jpg

55DvYCQ.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a PII-450 that has a passive sink on it, too. A little more conventional than your stalagmite block there. It came out of an HP with the PSU hung sideways over the processor, so I'm not totally sure if it's adequate in free-air or if it needs some amount of airflow to keep cool. I stuck a 40mm low-RPM fan on one end of it during testing and it was completely chill.

Reply 3 of 5, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Compaq system that have a PII 350 with am identical heatsink. It's designed so the fan from the back of the case will suck the hot air from the CPU and push it outside. I don't really like it, it looks quite cheap and it's not very good. But it shows again the versatility of slot1.

Reply 4 of 5, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks very similar to the heatsinks used in some power supplies and industrial equipment.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mG2RyIJr8PI/hqdefault.jpg

Strangely, this pic is also from a Compaq PSU. I wonder if this style is a Compaq thing?

Last edited by Ozzuneoj on 2019-04-23, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 5 of 5, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the first picture you can see a number stamped on the heatsink that ends in "-001", which follows typical Compaq part numbering convention from the time. If the motherboard itself isn't from a Compaq, then at the very least the heatsink (and possibly the CPU too) was transplanted from one.