VOGONS

First post, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I am having difficulties with using EMM386. When enabled it causes the system to freeze in certain situations. One example would be using edit.exe, the moment I press F10 system freezes and beeper continues to beep.
I've tried everything including loading emm386 with a minimum set of functions, cleaning startup files from loading other drivers, swapping RAM with different sticks, disabling any Shadow options in BIOS. Nothing seems to help. It is so annoying as everything works fine if I load the system on my Slot 1 motherboard.

What am I missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 9, by manuelink64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what OS/CPU/MoBo are you using?

Try Memmaker for optimize your configuration or try QEMM 97 if EMM386 are problematic.

Regards!

[Unisys CWP] [CPU] AMD-X5-133ADZ [RAM] 64 MB (4x36) FPM [HDD] Seagate 8.4GB [Audio] SB16 SCSI 2 (CT1770) [Video] ATI Mach64VT2 [OS] Windows 95 OSR2.5

Reply 2 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better not use memmaker. Do this manually.
Most problems are caused by memmaker not recognizing sensible memory areas, especially VGAs.
For this reason I usually have X=C000-C7FF if I am not sure which memory area the particular graphics card uses.
Adaptec BIOS and I/O area also often does not get detected correctly.
What does MSD "memory" screen show when you do naked boot (via F5)?

Reply 3 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
supaplex wrote:

What am I missing?

It would help to know your EMM386 configuration (the line in CONFIG.SYS that loads it), and which hardware is in your PC.

I don't have a K6BV3+, but on my K6XV3+ (with K6-II), the EMM386 is largely conflict-free.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 9, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for replies.

The motherboard is DFI K6BV3+/66 with Pentium 200 MMX and Windows 98 SE.

My config.sys looks like this:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE /NOEMS

I have to say that I've tried countless tricks with emm386 line in config.sys including

X=C000-C7FF

and

device=c:\dos\emm386.exe x=a000-f7ff nohi noems novcpi nomovexbda notr

Reply 5 of 9, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have a K6BV3+, but on my K6XV3+ (with K6-II), the EMM386 is largely conflict-free.[/quote]

Thank you for confirming that emm386 works on that motherboard. You said that it is largely conflict-free. Did you play around with the system for long enough? It took me a while to link occasional trouble with emm386 and only by accident I realized the error always shows up in edit.exe when F10 is pressed.

If your system is accessible and ready to go, you be able to load edit.exe in doe and press F10

Reply 6 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I've spent a long time with that K6 system. It's been my primary system for a few years, although the K6XV3+ wasn't its first board.

The system is still in my possession, but in a different house, so I can't test the F10 thing in Edit right now. What does F10 do, anyways?

What other problems do you have? chances are they are related to your specific video/audio/expansion cards. I've been using DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM I=B400-B7FF AUTO and there are very few programs/games that conflict with it. So few that I cannot recall any off the top of my head.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 9, by supaplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you again for the prompt reply.

I have no clue what F10 does in Edit but on a normally functioning system, a single beep can be heard after pressing F10.

The only other occasion when the error occurs is when ScanDisk loads after improper windows 98 shutdown. And again, the freeze occurs the moment the speaker beeps. So it looks like the error is linked to pc speaker! I have no problems whatsoever with the games I wish to play on the system. I is very annoying however when I have to reset Windows without shutting down and the next time I attempt to load windows ScanDisk freezes.

As for the other hardware, I've got Geforce 4MX, Voodoo2, network card and SB CT2760.

Also, the line RAM I=B400-B7FF doesn't help

Reply 9 of 9, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice 😀
Btw, I also can confirm that the K6BV3+ works just great, had such a board in my AT computer for years.
The dead ROM area F000-F7FF can be used on that board as UMB RAM without any problems.