VOGONS

First post, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello

In windows 98 SE ,I am not seeing a lot of options for WPA2-PSK [AES], I have a WG111T, WN111v2 and WNA3100 but only the WG111T has drivers for WIN98SE however the latest drivers (1.2) don't allow for WPA2-PSK [AES] , any idea how to get it working?

I have tried update v1.3(any update after that would not install or work well after intalling Kernel 4.5) for WG111T and it gives me WPA but I couldn't connect, even after creating a guest connection on my DGN2200v4 router which has WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

Not really an option to connect to the Ethernet port.

Thank You for any help

Reply 1 of 8, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well, the thing is that, most if not all wifi adapters that support windows 9x doesn't support wpa2 psk because the standard didn't exist or the chip/driver doesn't support that security method.
bear in mind that neither windows 98se, ME or windows 2000 doesn't have native or built in support for any wireless conections (being wifi, bluetooth and so)
it was up to the manufacturer and the drivers to support everything in these OS'es

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen WPA2 only in few USB dongles (SiS based) and one Ralink based PCI chip of things that run with 98SE and ME.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i use a wireless bridge to connect my win98 machine to my wifi.

i found a linksys wet54g v3.1 and it connects to my wap just fine.

avoid the earlier versions as they don't support wpa2.

Reply 4 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember having some ralink based cards (PCI and PCMCIA) that did support WPA (I don't remember if it was WPA or WPA2), but it seemed that decrypting was done in CPU.

So, in a proper/old Win 98 machine I have reliable connections without encryption or using WEP, but slow and unreliable connections using WPA. Also, like most wifi chipsets they had issues with their drivers (wireless app not working with the card manufacturer drivers, but working fine with chipset manufacturer drivers). The best thing about that cards was that they supported (had official drivers to do so) being converted into APs.

(BTW, the cards used were based on Ralink 2560 or 2561. Looking that chipset it seems that WPA2 is supported for that chips).

EDIT: Another option would be using an external wireless to ethernet bridge. I used one in the past to provide wifi connection to a printer that only had ethernet, and you won't have to look for drivers or worry about the card hogging your CPU.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Win98 doesn't natively support WiFi in any form, so you're completely dependent on the drivers of your card/adapter for WPA supplicant. No surprise given that Win98SE was from 1999, and WPA was defined in 802.11.i-2004, so is five years newer.

CPU usage is dependent on both NIC design (does it offload?) and on encryption chosen - TKIP or CCMP(AES). TKIP is computationally lighter, but is almost never accelerated in hardware. AES is harder, but there's more hardware offload. Even Via C3 CPUs (very much Win98-era) had a unit for that. WPA allows both standards, WPA2 is essentially the same as WPA, but mandates the availabilty of CCMP-AES, where it was optional in WPA. It's worth playing around with these settings if you encounter problems. Note that WPA1/TKIP is theoretically insecure, but - unlike WEP, which in some ways is worse than no encryption at all - in practice it's no major risk unless you're doing something sensitive, in which case you shouldn't be messing around with old crap on that network anyway.

The biggest disadvantage to allowing TKIP is that 802.11-2012 mandates that all High Throughput performance enhancements (i.e. the stuff that makes WiFi-n faster than WiFi-a/g) should be disabled if a station connects using TKIP. That not only nerfs your old stuff, but potentially newer devices associating on the same network might select TKIP instead of AES and be impacted too. For optimal performance you should run WPA2-only/CCMP(AES)-only - but when you're talking about getting Win98 online, you might need to compromise for the sake of compatibility. If your AP supports multiple SSIDs with separate security settings, you could potentially get the best of both worlds by broadcasting separate WPA2/AES and WPA1/TKIP SSIDs. Only issue here is that you increase overhead with multiple SSIDs, although each SSID is 'only' about 3% of airtime in 2.4GHz - but with multiple APs that adds up fast.

Reply 7 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ralink RT61 (2561) is indeed one chipset that has WPA2-AES support on Win9x, but you have to hack registry settings a bit:
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/win9x-wpa2/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys